Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Athletes with Asthma, use of Pulse Oximiter

Hello, I am a student at Georgia Institute of Technology, I have been given the task of redesigning a pulse oximeter, I would like to target my design towards athletes, specifically those suffering from asthma and other respiratory conditions, I would like to gain some information from anyone in the community who currently uses an oximeter. Preferably those who use them during physical activity to monitor oxygen saturation. I need information on how you used the unit, things you liked about it, things you didn't, what improvements need to be made etc. Additionally would anyone benefit from having a unit that continually monitored oxygen saturation levels during strenuous activity.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 31st, 2012
Because strenuous activity the pulse oximetry would have difficulty reading your oxygen continuously, the oximetry would read a lot of artifacts. This involves placing the pulse oximetry anywhere on your body, even if it's just a finger pulse ox. If you were to redesign it, I would take the idea of the tape oximetry that are use in the hospital, these are usually comes with a little tiny probe with tape attachment that are usually place on the ear lobes of the patient. This might lessen the artifact(movement) problems.
But other than that. I think reading oxygen while exercising is not as interesting as reading your CO2 production. I think measuring CO2 production can tells a lot more about your body than your oxygen. There is not much you can do with oxygen information, of course if you exercise its going to change, a little.
|

replied January 31st, 2012
I read an article about predicting asthma attacks by monitoring oxygen saturation, do you think there is enough supporting evidence or real truth to the matter. Unfortunately i have been given the task of redesigning the pulse oximeter so I can't really look into CO2 monitors. I have played around with the idea of a sports headband with the unit mounted securely to the ear and out of the way.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....