Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

at 39 bleeding keeps me at home. Should I have....

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
User Profile
I am 39 years old. I have 2 grown children and 2 grandchildren. I have severe bleeding that sometimes prohibits me from leaving the house, constantly in the bathroom at work, with blood clots the size of a half dollar or bigger, severe cramping sometimes with vomiting and my cycle last 8 days. My mother and her aunt had the same issues, both had hysterectomy, my mom at age 40 her aunt in her late 20's. Should i have a hyterectomy?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2011
Hysterectomy Answer A26158

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the prolonged bleeding that you are having. Your symptoms are suggestive of menorrhagia. Causes of menorrhagia are Hypothyroidism, Endometrial proliferation or hyperplasia like ovarian tumor and polycystic ovarian disease, endometrial polyps and neoplasia, endometriosis, fibroids and uterine sarcomas.

In my opinion you need to get your pelvic examination done from your gynecologist along with investigations like complete blood count, thyroid function tests, PAP smear and ultrasound uterus. Once cause of menorrhagia is identified, treatment can be planned. Hysterectomy is kept as the last resort depending on the cause of menorrhagia.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hysterectomy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.