Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Asymmetrical Breasts

My breasts are about 2 cup sizes apart and I am considering getting a reduction in the larger breast.

I was wondering if my insurance would cover this and either way how much this would probably cost me.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mlheather
|

replied July 30th, 2008
Where do you live, in some countries such operation can be covered by national health insurance in case of significant difference.
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2008
Experienced User
You'd have to call your insurance carrier directly and see if it is covered. We could speculate, but there are many different plans.

So, I would give your insurance carrier a call and see what's up!
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Yeah, it really depends.
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2008
asymmetrical breast surgery
I too have a big discrepancy in breast size and have contemplated reduction of the larger or an implant for the smaller for forever. I also have large areola's which I hate and would like corrected. From my experience most insurance will cover the reduction especially if you "complain of upper back pain from the uneveness" but not an implant. A nurse and doctor told me this. Which is so wierd in my opinion it's a birth defect that although to people who do not have it seems cosmetic but, if I were a breast cancer patient insurance would cover an implant. In my case I am a size A/small B on one side and a full D on the other side. I'd rather go up to the D than down to the A/B I think. Although C's would be perfect but, unattainable. I have breastfed 2 kids and lets just say the girls could use a lift and the smaller one seems deflated. If they could take from one and give to the other it would be perfect! ha! I've never heard of that though. It's also hard to find a plastic surgeon who has seen them and has the experience needed to fix them. Don't just go to the first one you talk to. If you go to the surgeon because you have back pain though it will most definately be covered so call your insurance and ask like that, not just because you want it to look better. Goodluck
|
Users who thank acountrygirlcansurvive for this post: Fairy Godmother 

replied August 28th, 2008
I have it too, an A on one side and a D on the other the large on has a huge areola and the little one is normal... I have to wear a stupid 3 pound bra everday XD it really sucks but the cost depends on what the insurance is willing to cover... my specualtions wouldn't help so I would just ask them Smile nice to hear from someone in the same boat! hope I helped!
|

replied March 10th, 2009
Me too, I have an a and a c/d and the on that is larger has a huge areola but on the other side the nipple is like scattered, all due to a birth defect, I thought I was the only one, sometimes I feel like a monster when I look in the mirror and ask God,"Why Me?". I feel left out, i've never been able to know what is is to have beautiful breast like everyone else.
|

replied August 1st, 2011
Hi, I have a small difference in size and it got to be a little more pronounced when I gained some weight. I'm wearing a Wacoal-brand bra now, structured, so you can't see the difference when I'm dressed.

But the guy I've been seeing ridiculed me yesterday. He made fun of my larger breast and exaggerated things. I can still wear the same bra size and don't need plastic surgery.

Am thinking I need to ditch the unkind boyfriend.

Any opinions?
|

replied August 4th, 2011
Asymmetrical breasts and mean boyfriends
8-4-2011. I ditched him. He's cruel. There's hardly any difference in them at all--a cup size when my weight is up; less when it's not.

25% of women experience this to some degree (asymmetrical breasts) according to a Mass General Study.

BTW-I'm often told that I have great breasts-sometimes by women (straight)! They're large for my size (34D) and perky (because they started small and haven't had time to droop yet-no kids). Keep the breasts--lose the guy. If anything is asymmetrical-it's his brain.
|

replied April 9th, 2009
i am only 15 and have that problem Sad it's really difficult for me as i am 16 very soon and obviously want to start experimenting with things, it really puts me down on self esteem and i thought i was the only one, i really hate my body and it is just something that i have always hated. i always think i am the only one with it and it upsets me. what causes it? i have gone to the doctors about it and they are looking into surgery i would really hate to have the bigger one reduced as people always say i have big boobs as i am good at covering up the difference, it's good to know i am not the only one!
|

replied April 11th, 2009
i too have asymmetric Breasts, i'm only 16 and i'm not really sure what to do about it. I just cover up with padded bras. It makes me quite self concious and i have to watch what i wear most of the time. I've considered surgery but its such a big thing, i'm just not sure.
|

replied September 11th, 2009
I thought I was the only one too. When I was younger I wore padded bras, I even bought those bras made for mastectomys and the fake boob to put in it. I was soooo self concious! I couldn't wear cute clothes that all my friends wore, and bathing suite shopping was so depressing! After having kids they got better. Not perfect, but better. Going to a doctor, they said my insurance would only cover it if I had pain because of it, but they said that the size of my boobs was also a factor and they didn't fit in there. Now I'm 30, still hate them, and my hubby is standing in the way of me feeling better about myself by not letting me have the surgery becuase he says if it's not a physical problem he wants to keep me all natural! Men!! As for the soon to be 16 yearold....don't grow up to fast, trust me...I had my first when I was 18. (just 18 and he was born) My entire JR year I was pregnant and it isn't comfortable to sit in school desks with a huge belly!
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
it is like feet, most people have one that is larger and sometimes a different size
16 is probably too young because they can change
but enlargement does not have to be overtly noticeable, and PERSONALLY "tear drop" look best and SILICONE is the way to go.
And if u ever wondered if they can "break easy"
there r demonstrations where they smash it with a baseball bat multiple times and no leakage.
If u get em; LISTEN carefully when Dr. says to play with them daily for a while to prevent scar tissue; it means REALLY PLAY WITH THEM; give a nightly test dr BECAUSE highly unlikely anyone is going to smash a baseball bat into one but watch the video and feel secure they won't brake.
good luck
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....