Hi all,

This past year i don't know what has happened to me, but everytime i can smell or breath in some types of perfume from people around me , it gives me a weezy chest.
I know it is the perfumes which are causing this.
Is there anything i can ask my employer to do to help me as i work in an office.
I have started a diary to put down the days when it is better or worse & who is in or away from the office. Hopefully, this way i can see a pattern & perhaps pinpoint to culprit with the perfume causing me to have a weezy chest?

Any comments please.

cheers
Derek.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AMc
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2010
Supporter
Hi Derek. Years ago I had a similar problem at work. Strong perfumes, colognes and cleansers (especially anything with a spicy scent) give me headaches, make my eyes water and make me sneeze. This past December, I even got a holiday plug- in room deodorizer with cinnamon in it and had to stop using it because of my reaction to it. In my case, I had no problem finding the culprit. She was a woman who practically bathed in perfume. When I mentioned it to my supervisor, he said there was nothing he could do about it because it was not offensive to most and because I was the only person complaining. She worked in a different area than me but we would often pass in the halls. That quick contact was enough to set me off. After my supervisor refused to do anything, I mentioned it to her. She told me that everyone complimented her on her scent and that she only wore a small amount. After such an obvious lie and inconsideration, I had to learn to grin and bear it. I got on a daily nasal spray and inhaler which helped a little but I never found a true solution to my problem until I quit working there.
Good luck. I hope you have more success than I did.
|

replied June 25th, 2011
Asthma and Fragrances
Derek:

I too have asthma. My biggest trigger is all fragrances. It used to cause a mild reaction...tightening in the throat and airways. NOW my throat closes up if I don't get away immediately. I get an asthma attack with wheezing but sometimes my throat will swell with an 'Anayphylactic' reaction. It's a peanut type allergy response that people are familiar with. Under the constitution, asthma is considered a handicap and we cannot be discriminated against based on our handicaps. That said...GOOD LUCK getting the work place to change! This will take lot of education and people like us pulling together to make our voices heard! I used to be a hospital RN. I cannot any more. I now go out in public with a respirator! If people want to enter my home, there's a laundry list of things they cannot have on....or I'll go into a bad asthma and or anaphylactic reaction. I react the same way with cigarette smoke, car exhaust, and latex. It's miserable! Good luck!

A.M.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
Many Thanks for the replies.
I am aware of a person who does wear a lot of smelly stuff.
I have recently moved desks so i am less exposed to the perfumes as i am now away from the "walkway" in the middle of the office.
It has been much better recently for me & my work have gone some way to helping me.
I dont know if it is connected in some wat but recently i noticed i had some large tonsil stones in my throat which was made worse by the perfumes as those fumes were reacting with these tonsil stones & were giving me less throat space for breathing which would then make the chest tighten up.
In the last few weeks i have manged to pick most of them out of the crevices around the tonsils & there were a lot of big ones on both sides too. Since they have come out & since i have moved desks , i think the two combined have made a big difference. Since having the tonsil stones out, i have noticed that i am a bit more tolerant now with the perfumes but i still have to be wary though just in case.
This just my experience but it might be worth looking at your tonsils. Also be aware the the stones may well be hidden in the crevices & you wont be able to see them unless you manually move pull back the skin in front of the tonsil. I could actually feel them but could not see them at first. I managed to oush them out with my finger, then when they became visible i was able to pick the away with my finger & also some would drop onto the back of my tongue & i coughed some out too.
Good to to anyone reading this.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
PERFUME
For me it's nothing to do with tonsils....mine have been out since childhood. It's a true allergy response which triggers my asthma...quite real...and quite life threatening. Glad to hear you're a little better. Me? I stay away from public. IF I go anywhere, I have to be accompanied. I have to wear a respirator in public. It's a true handicap! Good luck.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
Sorry to hear of your problems. That must be very bad for you going out anywhere. Hopefully you will improve to be able to enjoy a better life.
I am still prone to perfumes & i still try to avoid them at all times.
I think it was affecting my tonsils aswell which would then be infected which then leads to throat & chest tightening / infections.
Good luck to you also.
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
Asthma and thier perfume is my poisen
I work in a City Office. I too recently came down with asthma in the last four years but in the last 18 months perfume has been the trigger for my savere attacks. My supervisors has sent several emails asking co-workers to stop wearing scented lotions and perfumes to work. Sadly my co-workers still conitnue to wear it all while insisting "it's just a small amount" I insisted I can feel them before I can smell them. I have an epi pen for the attacks that are the worse. I just dont understand why it's so hard to not wear it. I could understand it if we were in the profession of prostatution and needed scents to inhance our job's but we work in a office that assist low income citizens with assistance. I mean really, if I needed a wheelchair enterance my employer would have to make one but since I need co-workers to stop wearing a product that is clearly a "choice" to add and not a "need" I am out of luck. I am told it's thier right to wear perfume and they really "Can't" make them not wear it. Is there anything I can do? I have wasted so much sick time and non paid sick time due to this. I am only affected while at work since I don't do to much outside of work and home. Any advice would be great.
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
Asthma and thier perfume is my poisen
I work in a City Office. I too recently came down with asthma in the last four years but in the last 18 months perfume has been the trigger for my savere attacks. My supervisors has sent several emails asking co-workers to stop wearing scented lotions and perfumes to work. Sadly my co-workers still conitnue to wear it all while insisting "it's just a small amount" I insisted I can feel them before I can smell them. I have an epi pen for the attacks that are the worse. I just dont understand why it's so hard to not wear it. I could understand it if we were in the profession of prostatution and needed scents to inhance our job's but we work in a office that assist low income citizens with assistance. I mean really, if I needed a wheelchair enterance my employer would have to make one but since I need co-workers to stop wearing a product that is clearly a "choice" to add and not a "need" I am out of luck. I am told it's thier right to wear perfume and they really "Can't" make them not wear it. Is there anything I can do? I have wasted so much sick time and non paid sick time due to this. I am only affected while at work since I don't do to much outside of work and home. Any advice would be great.
|

replied February 24th, 2012
Well, i am not sure of the legal position, but as your colleagues are all aware of the problem & they have been asked by the employer to stop wearing perfumes, then they are "KNOWINGLY" placing you at risk if they continue to wear anything so that could be seen as some kind of breach of health & safety in the work place & perhaps you could seek some kind of legal advice on that. You are not supposed to put somebody at risk in the workplace & the employee has a legal obligation to keep you safe at work.If people are aware it will harm you & they continue to carry on harming you, then i would think you could have a case. After all it is a FUME / Pollution in the atmosphere. EVERY employee has the right to work in a pollution free atmosphere so you could try to look into that & the fact that your colleagues are willfully & knowingly causing you harm. Good Luck
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....