Hi there,

I am writing on behalf of my girlfriend. She suffers from some bad asthma mainly in change of weather, when she runs a few meters and also if she panics. She takes her daily puffs, but sometimes it gets so bad we end up going to hospital to take the nebulizer (sorry if its spelt wrong).

Im writing here to see if there is any "cure" to this asthma issue, can you grow out of it? She is 25 years old, and also will it be an issue if she gets pregnant?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum. I am glad I can help you here.

From the history provided it seems that your girlfriend has has a exacerbation of asthma.

Asthma is due to a hypersensitiveness of the airway tract to variety of stimuli. People with asthma experience symptoms when the airways tighten, inflame, or fill with mucus. Common asthma symptoms include:

1. Coughing, especially at night ;
2. Wheezing ;
3. Shortness of breath ;
4. Chest tightness, pain, or pressure

Asthma can be controlled by taking the regular medications including inhalers. Typically bronchodilators are prescribed for regular use and for acute episodes. When exacerbation occurs, a steroid inhaler can be prescribed by your doctor which will help stabilize the airways and prevent further worsening or future attacks. In addition medications can be prescribed to prevent the hypersensitiveness of the airway.

Over time, as the airway matures, patients usually grow out and episodes become less frequent.

When asthma is controlled, women with asthma have no more complications during pregnancy and giving birth than women who don't have asthma. However, uncontrolled asthma during pregnancy can lead to serious maternal and fetal complications. If one has asthma and is pregnant, or planning to become pregnant, it is advised to see a doctor who can optimize the medications and make sure that the asthma is controlled.

I hope this helps.

|

replied February 4th, 2011
Thanks for your reply. Thats my biggest concern. I dont want anything to happen if she ends uP pregnant. she takes her daily puffs but sometimes its not enough as she still gets her attacks.. Its partially mentally also as if she forgets her ventoline at home and she wont have the puffs on her,she starts getting an attack automatically..

My biggest fear is that she gets an attack when pregnant.

Also i guess this is hereditary right? Ie our children will probably be asthmatic?
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.