I was diagnosed with asthma in June. The same day I injured my shoulder in a fall. I had been running regularly but due to shoulder injury and then fear of breathing difficulties I have hardly run at all. I need to run - for my sanity, my diabetes management, weight management and, I believe, asthma management. I ran today, not far or fast but enough to challenge me. It started raining heavily, I needed to use my inhaler and then walked home. I was wheezy for about 5 mins after getting home and another minute or so for HR to be normal. I feel better for it and think I can only improve. Any other runners out there who can offer advice, hints or tips?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Caramama
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

It is possible that your issues could be due to deconditioning. Lack of regular exercises for some time, can cause you to have breathing problems at the initial stages of retraining.

Hence you may have to start at a slow pace and pick up slow and steadily. In case you develop symptoms, use of a bronchdilator inhaler, before you start exercising, will help to prevent the onset of symptoms while exercising.

With time and patience, you will be able to increase the pace and intensity of your workouts.

|

replied July 10th, 2012
Running with Asthma and Diabetes
Hi Caramama. Deepak is right, it can be a slow build up, but ultimately a very rewarding one for both Asthma and Diabetes management. I have my thoughts on running with these two conditions on the link below, but in brief, without running I believe I would not be so well controlled. Anyway, hope this hilps, Steve
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.