Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Aspirin use and heart disease with Lupus

User Profile
My mother has heart disease, lupus and takes baby asprin. I'm a student to become an estetician. It seems that all the cool things to do prevent my mother from doing anything. If she doesn't have a flare up on her skin, is it safe to use the machine with the finest grit? What is the contraindications for asprin use? It's not fair that my mother has to refrain from so much. I'm told it's a contraindication,but no one really explains why other than not to do it.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2017
Lupus Answer A60348
Welcome to e health forum.

Aspirin should not be taken by people who are allergic to ibuprofen or naproxen, or who have salicylate intolerance or a more generalized drug intolerance to NSAIDs, and caution should be exercised in those with asthma or NSAID-precipitated bronchospasm.

Aspirin should also be avoided by patients with bleeding problems such as hemophilia, von Willebrand disease, or low blood platelets - as Aspirin can induce spontaneous bleeding in such patients.

Patients on medications like anticoagulants (eg, heparin, warfarin) or methotrexate should also avoid the use of aspirin, as the side effects of the medications can be increased by concomitant use of aspirin.

I hope this clears your doubts.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Cardiovascular system disorders cause 40% of all deaths in the US. We outline types of heart disease here and define basic characteristics of heart problems....
What puts someone more at risk of heart disease than another? Learn the basic risk factors of heart disease so that you can start to avoid them....
Heart disease is better treated when detected early. Learn the common signs and symptoms of most heart disease, plus when you should ask a doctor for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lupus , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.