Morning everyone,

So to explain a little my girlfriend was given an ASCUS test result for a pap smear yesterday, she is currently very calm about it but I (her boyfriend) am silently beside myself with worry..

The doctor gave the result as ASCUS he was very calm to the point of feeling cold told her to come back in 6 months for a follow up test and in the mean time thing about getting the HPV injection.

I had a few questions to ask him regarding testing for HPV he said there had been no test done and they don't do it also if we had any more questions could we please book another appointment as he had to get on ...... I don't think that was very nice.

Anyway my question for you guys is should we try and push for HPV testing? We have been in a relationship for 4 years now her last PAP test 1 year ago was clear and before that was clear too. We where sensible about getting into our relationship and both where tested for STI / D's at the start (4 years ago) I have however since learnt that they can not test a guy for HPV and that it is not carried out by standard for a girl during a sexual health checkup is this correct?

I will never show her I am worried but last night she asked me if she was going to be ok and it took all I had not to break down then and there ... all I can do is inform myself and get her the best care possible.

Thanks to everyone and anyone for your help and advice,

Tom
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 14th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
You are right about the HPV testing. There is no test for men and it isn't a general test for women either.

To put your mind at ease a little bit:

ASCUS is an acronym for atypical cells of undetermined significance and indicates mild cellular cervical changes with an unknown cause. While an ASCUS Pap smear result may sound alarming, it is considered mildly abnormal. There is no immediate cervical cancer risk in an ASCUS Pap smear result.

Her body could easily rid itself of these abnormal cells (even HPV if that is the cause).
|

replied July 14th, 2010
Thank you for you response Mabel.

I did read up about the result like you mention it is a mild cellular change and one which we should not be overly concerned about in many cases it rectifys with around 1 in 1000 progressing to cancer .....

I just find it tough as my girl seems to look to me for the answers.

One last questions. She is 26 so at the end of the "window" for the HPV vaccine. Would it be worth while to get it done now? I know it is not a cure but as a preventative?

All your help and guidance is appreciated.

Tom
|
Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....