Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
So, I am freaking out. I hadn't had a pap in over five years until last May. It came back ASCUS and high-risk HPV. I have had three more paps since then and all have come back the same. My dr referred me to a gyno to get a colposcopy.

I saw her Friday am for a consult and she was horrified that my dr allowed me to wait a year for the colposcopy. She said I could already have cervical cancer and that the ASCUS designation can range from very minor cell changes up to cervical cancer. My question is: how likely is it that I already have cervical cancer????

I am also totally freaked out about the colposcopy. I have real issues with pain in that region and it scares me so bad, I haven't been able to sleep because I am terrified and obsessed with it. Please tell me it won't be that bad............
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile worriedauzzi
|

replied May 5th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
While you have HPV and a multiple pap smears with ASCUS results, it is a MILD abnormality. ASCUS stands for Atypical Cells of Undetermined Significance,and basically means there were mild cellular changes and the the cause in unknown.

The first step in managing an ASCUS Pap smear is to repeat the Pap test. Many times a slight infection or cervical inflammation may causes a Pap to come back as ASCUS. The Pap may be repeated immediately or within 4-6 months. The doctor may prescribe an antibiotic to clear up any possible infection prior to the repeat Pap.
There is no immediate cervical cancer risk in an ASCUS Pap smear. It is very important to follow up with a repeat Pap smear or colposcopy if your doctor orders.
|

replied May 30th, 2008
Just diagnosed at 54 with HPv High Risk
I have not had set in five years and am 54 years old and just diagnosed for high risk HPV. My pap test is normal and has been normal. Now I must get tested every six months. My questions is obviously I had HPv high risk for a long time - will my body be able to fight it or am I considered long lasting and probably eventually get cervical cancel
|

replied July 21st, 2008
ingi
my doctor call me and told me that i have atyical cell of underetermind meanin unknown . so she made me appt tp go see gyn on sept 10 do u think i should change my appt to an early date?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2008
Experienced User
Having HPV does not mean you will get cervical cancer, HPV is just linked to cervical cancer meaning a number of women who develop cervical cancer also have HPV. Studies show that 7 out of every 10 females have HPV ... 7 out of 10 women do not get cervical cancer ... less than one in 100 develop cervical cancer. Which is why every woman whether they have HPV or not should get regular pap smears. So its not a matter of your body having to 'fight off HPV' and no you cannot say that you will probably get it. If you are getting abnormal cells and growths even thats not all that much to worry about, as a pap smear would pick it up and then your doctor would arrange a sample of them to be taken for testing to find out if they are a cause for concern. Regarding you wanting to speed up your appointment date go onto one of the many HPV websites so you can have a better understanding of exactly what it is.
|
Users who thank worriedauzzi for this post: Marumaru 

replied March 10th, 2009
HPV High Risk ASCUS
About a year ago i got diagnosed with high risk HPV ASCUS. It absoloutly terrified me. However, after talking to my doctor, she calmed me down by telling me the number of paople who have this and that the ascus ment the chages were small. She was not surprised and told me that I could wait a whole year for another pap because it usually goes away on its own. So I waited a year now, and my appointment is in a month. Im super scared! Do the biopsys hurt if I have to get one?
|

replied March 10th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Please don't worry about this until you have to have one. Because worrying over something that may not happen is a total waste of energy. Focus on the positive.

Your cells were slightly abnormal in your last pap smear, that is quite common. It often does go away on it's own. You'll be fine.
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2009
Experienced User
My mum had to get cells removed after 3 years of abnormal cells due to her HPV. It was a small day operation and everything went fine. They give you pain relief so you feel nothing. There really isn't much to worry about lots of women have HPV and 8 out of 10 women who have to have cells removed for testing their results come back fine. Don't worry about it until/ if you actually have something to worry about.
|

replied April 1st, 2009
I guess every Dr is different, I have HPV and ASCUS and they are doing an immediate biopsy. Dr says I have 80% chance of precancer cells or cancer cells. Don't wait. Get a biopsy for the sake of knowing whats going on with your body.
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
Especially eHealthy
She's had a biopsy... That is how it is diagnosed. A pap smear is just to see if there are any potential cell changes, a pap smear does not diagnose anything.
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
Maybe I'm reading something your not because I saw that she's nervous about a biopsy. And just FYI I know the difference between what diagnoses IM going thru this...
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
Especially eHealthy
You are right, I'm sorry. I was assuming since this thread is over three weeks old that you were replying to someone else who has responded with her story.

You'd be amazed at the amount of people who think that a pap smear told them they have 'cancer' or that small cervical cell changes are indeed 'cancer'. I try to educate and ease fears as much as possible.
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
I found this thread while looking up what HPV and ASCUS was after my abnormal pap and refered to a GYN for a biopsy. I didn't relize it was so long
|

replied June 15th, 2009
Ascus and HPV High Risk.
I went to the doctor a year ago. My pap came back with abnormal but I dont know what the findings were. I just had my pap this year and it came back abnormal Ascus plus HPV High Risk. What does all this mean? I am scheduled for a Colposcopy on July 6th. but do you think I am waiting to long to have this done.
|

replied June 17th, 2009
I TOO, just got a phone call this morning from my Dr. saying that my pap came back ASCUS and High Risk HPV. I'm COMPLETELY freaking out....even though the DR. told me not too, because my ASCUS was less than mild. I guess I came out positive for HPV type 16, which is the kind that causes 50% of cervical cancers. I have a colposcopy scheduled for June 30, I'm so freaked out!!!
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
Don't be freaked out - HPV and high risk dysplasia is common. The best decision I ever made to treat my HPV dysplasia was to see a naturopathic doctor, who completely reworked my diet and put me on a product called Papillex (you can get it online papillex.com). You can take control of your health and you will be okay!
|
Users who thank Kujji for this post: Marumaru 

replied June 21st, 2009
HPV/ASCUS
I just diagnosed with ASCUS and high risk of HPV. and the doctor told me to go for colposcopy. should i see doctor soon or should i wait for my appointment. that the doctor gave me six months from now? I'm a little concerned. please help me understand.
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
sadgrrr-

If it was me I would make the colposcopy appointment sooner just to put your mind at ease. Kuz I don't know about you, but I got the call almost a week ago and it's all I keep thinking about. My colposcopy appointment is next Tuesday on the 30th and I just want to get it over with. Did your doctor tell you what level your ASCUS cells were? There's mild-moderate-severe. They said mine were less than mild, but because I came out positive for high risk HPV they want to do the colposcopy to make sure I'm okay.....
|

replied June 26th, 2009
been there multiple times...
i recently had the same thing happen. i'm 23 and had the hpv vaccine a few years ago. anyway, when my doctor gave me my pap results, i was incredibly concerned. but after tons of research and talking to doctors, i came to realize that this is very common and nothing to freak out about. cancer usually grows very slowly and regular pap smears help catch it. if you're seeing ASCUS cells, odds are you're fine and they will either remove them with an easy biopsy or monitor them. hpv infections go away and pop up; from what i understand, there's no way to 'cure' the infections completely and you just need to stay on top of it. try not to stress yourself out about it! nothing is worse than thinking about it 24/7
|

replied July 6th, 2009
Hi,

Just a note, iceyred, be informed about the HPV vaccine, it only covers like 4 of the known over 40 strains of HPV. So still be safe.

sadgrr, if you can't get your appointment sooner, perhaps see a naturopathic doctor about any treatment you can do in the meantime. No sense in just waiting and worrying. Kujii (above) suggested papillex and there are diet changes you can make to have a better result.

Also, if you smoke, you must stop, smoking stops your body from being able to fight naturally.
|
Users who thank ash_ben for this post: NURSEVAUGHN