Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Arthritis, joint pain, and Lupus

User Profile
I have SLE Lupus and last year I suddenly had high blood pressure. My primary care physician has me on benicar HCT which works but I've read the patient circular and it says something about Lupus....I'm thinking its the diuretic part that holds the warning. He was trying to find a cheaper drug for me and says I need the diuretic...but all of the drugs talk about lupus. For the last year I have had zero down time from the joint pain and my eyes have gone so dry its hard to see. My opthamologist plugged my ducts which helped ever so slightly. I love my doctor (but he's like 84 and a bit stubborn, as he has gotten older its harder to communicate..when I've asked him these questions he pats me on the shoulder and tells me to keep taking my meds.) He said that we can try hyzaar or diodone.
Could the diuretic in the blood pressure medicine be causing this nonstop joint pain? If so, is there an alternative blood pressure medicine and diuretic that I could ask him to try me on

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2008
Lupus Answer A3926
Benicar HCT is a combination of 2 medicines for treating high blood pressure: Olmesartan medoxomil and hydrochlorothiazide. Olmesartan medoxomil is an angiotensin II receptor blocker and hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic.

There is data that one of olmesartan’s side effects could be arthritis and joint pain. But the lupus can also cause arthritis and joint pain so you can never be sure if the joint pain is due to the medicine or lupus or maybe both.

Many other side effects of Benicar HCT (kidney failure, blood disorders, skin rash…) can also be due to SLE.So this medicine should be carefully used in patients with SLE because it can worsen the condition.

By the way, you should know that high blood pressure can be due to chronic kidney failure caused by the lupus. You should have your kidneys’ function checked! You may want to consult a nephrologist and rheumatologist about this.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lupus , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.