User Profile
I am a 52 year old female who has had multiple spinal injuries,one being a C-4 compression fracture several years ago and now I live with constant pain in my neck and down into the left arm!I have been going to a Chiropractor looking for relief and a medical M.D. The M.D.swears more harm than good comes from Chiropractors(I must say that I now have headaches)from the adjustments and still have the neck pain,but the M.D. says"not much you can do"for the now set in arthritis and have prescribed an Anti~depressant~Celexa~and has claimed all of my pain will cease in time while on this, for I am mostly depressed!Well yes I am depressed that this pain IS real and I just feel as if I am in limbo and must live with no real answers!Is there any treatment out there for arthritis in the neck?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2009
Back Pain Answer A8117
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am happy to help you.

You like to know whether there is any treatment for arthritis in the neck.

Due to compression fracture of the vertebra the height of that particular vertebra is reduced and so the static of the neck is changed and the space between two nearest vertebra is thinned. If the angle between the broken part of the vertebra and the healthy one is more than 15 degrees, the vertebral column can be curved to front or aside and therefore cause problems. Due to making damages to the nerves during physical therapy, this kind of therapy is excluded especially in injuries of the neck vertebra.

Given the data that you described the reason for the pain in your neck and arm is the pressure on the nerves due to the compression fracture on one of your vertebra. You may consider taking pain killers such as non steroid anti-inflamatory medications. Please notice that these medications mustn’t be used if you are allergic to them or have been diagnosed with ulcer or acid reflux. You may also consider seeing orthopedist for further advice.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to provide you with medical information here. I am not able to give you medical advice online. Please contact your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider such as orthopedist for further advice, diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.