User Profile
i have a problem which i am embarressed to go to my doctor to discuss. my daughter is always goin on at me for dating girls who are a lot younger than me some are her friends and she gets mad and says that she wont speak to me if i date any more of her friends,i tell her that i cant relate to women of my own age,i know it sounds daft,but i still think i am in my 30's,and this is causing me depression and stress because i want to date women of my own age but when i try i last about half an hour and think that she is an old woman and make an excuse and leave,i have heard of this condition called arrested development and wonder if i suffer from it.Can you give me any advice on what if anything i can do.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2009
Anxiety and Stress Answer A7964
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum

Well, yes it is a tough situation for a father with a daughter of same age as the girls he is dating. Some men want to feel young always and date girls half their age too or even younger. This is however a personal choice and nothing much can be done regarding this choice.

On the other hand it will be extremely embarrassing for your daughter to see you around with girls of her age.

You may not be having an arrested development. However both you and your daughter should consult a clinical psychologist and get out of this problem through counseling. Both of you will have to reach at a compromise. At least do not date her friends. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.