Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

arm started to tingle then my chest went tight...

User Profile
I suffer panic attacks. And yesterday in work out of no where I felt hot and sweaty (to touch was cold) my left arm started to tingle then my chest went tight. All of a sudden I can't breath my whole body in tingling my mouth is numb my hands went weird and stiff I felt faint and sick and really thought I was going to pass out. I am 21 and have high blood pressure for my age was it just a bad panic attack?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2014
Panic Attacks Answer A34707
It certainly sounds like a panic attack. However, keep in mind that high blood pressure rarely causes symptoms and certainly does not explain the episode you are describing. Your blood pressure should be treated, but because of your young age it also merits a diagnostic workup beyond the fact that you are overweight. Put another way, high blood pressure at your age is unusual and merits studies to determine if there is a defineable cause. My suggestion, however, is made without my knowing what your actual blood pressure readings are.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Panic Attacks , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.