Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Arm size after workouts

User Profile
Hey,
I've been working out for about 1-2 months now, I work out Monday-Wednesday-Friday doing mostly upper body work outs, I do abs and squats. I plan on starting to jog the park Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday but haven't started yet (This is probably un-needed information but maybe someone can evaluate my question from this or something). Getting to my question... I measure my arms every week seeing if there has been a change in the size. (I know I probably shouldn't do this but I just get curious, because sometimes they seem bigger). But anyways, one week I measure them and then the next week they lowered a little bit. Could this be fat being burned or am I using my own muscles as energy when I workout?
Probably a stupid question but I'm just curious.
Thanks Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 30th, 2008
Supporter
unless your on a regimented diet your size will fluctuate. Due to carb intake v. fat and protein in relation to if there is a calrie deficiency or not. Tons of factors also water intake. Its pointless to work out without a strcit diet or the same thing basically everyday and have a workout that you can follow that is structured to gain consistency. measurments should be done 1-2 months only!
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Yes, quite checking yourself out so often. It's just unnecessary disappointment. It's much more satisfying to just focus on the task, and find out your result some months down the line. I gained considerable size last spring from 150 pounds to about 175, since winter lasts long down here I never really paid attention to myself and worked out most every day. Next thing you know, late spring/early summer hit and everybody was telling me about how big I've gotten or if I was taking roids.

As DPG said, there are a lot of factors that will cause you to fluctuate. You said you'd be attempting to do a lot of cardio, your hydration levels will change and your weight as well. Take your time, stick to a consistent diet and work out schedule, and be patient.
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....