Hi. Maybe I'm a bit young for this question but also a heavy drinker and a smoker.

Last month I was checked out and found out my spleen was ready to get enlarged, so I don't know if these symptoms are because of it or because of the stomach:

I have nausea which is more severe if I was drinking last night, a bit loss of appetite, stomach discomfort, a dull ache underneath my left rib cage towards the diaphragm and, while I'm laying, I can feel my heart pulse in every spot of my abdomen I'll place my hand on.

I had these symptoms one month ago, that's why I went to the doctor to check my liver. I stopped drinking for 15 days and they slowly disappeared back then.

Are these symptoms of stomach ulcer or enlarged spleen? What other stomach issues could possibly cause these symptoms?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2013
Hi Sentinno,

The definitive test for stomach ulcers is a H.Pylori breath test. It involves blowing into a tube into some clear liquid which can detect the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers. It takes 24 hours to get the results. Non-invasive and easy. As for your enlarged spleen, I would suggest you go easy with the alcohol and cigarettes, both of which are poison.

Good Luck!
|

replied July 28th, 2013
Hi inabind.

It's certainly not that easy to have a check up everytime I develop new symptoms due to alcohol. I feel stupid and I'm tired of this. Everytime the symptoms go away until now when I limit it and new ones appear when I drink excessively again.

I've gone already four times to the hospital because I had the symptoms I was reading about on the internet indicating a liver disease, until I got there and told me I'm completely healthy (the spleen was not considered a problem since it was still normal - although ready to enlarge).

Besides, I don't have an insurance to visit the doctor everytime I think I have a disease. That's why I'm asking here if someone having an ulcer experiences the exact same symptoms:

Occasional and mild nausea, (a bit after I eat, which is shown through coughing with mucus) slight loss of appetite, normal weight, no vomiting, and stabbing-like but mild pain near the diaphragm.

Also, what's the risk of suddenly having a perforation, even if the symptoms go away?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...