User Profile
Two years ago I had unprotected sex with a male who i now know is bisexual. Six months after our first encounter and 3 months after our last encounter I had a HIV rapid oral swab test. It came out negative. Are these results conclusive? I'm now married to the love of my life and have a one year old child. I have had a headache for over a month, diarrhea, back pain, insomnia, and sever anxiety about this. Do i need another test? Would my child be showing symptoms? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A19279
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum.

HIV is diagnosed based on the serological detection in the blood or body fluid samples. It is not diagnosed on the basis of nonspecific signs and symptoms.

All your symptoms are coincidental and not related to HIV.

The oral rapid HIV test is 98-99% sensitive for detection of HIV antibodies. So it is a accurate test.

To relieve your anxiety and stress, you might consider to consult a doctor who can reassure you, so that your anxiety can be relieved and you can get back to your normal routine.

If you have a persistent stress over the incident a HIV ELISA 1/2 P24 COMBO test can be done. This test with 100% sensitivity will confirm your status and relax your mind.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.