Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Are these just hives due to an allergic skin reaction?

Last Saturday I wore an 80% polyester/20% merino wool mixed shirt and pants due to being outside in the cold and when I took them off about 12 hours later I started to developed these red blotchy bumps only in locations where I was covered, so not on my face or hands or feet. I was curious if these are just hives and will go away with time and avoiding scratching them and such. They are on my abdomen, chest, some on my arms and legs and a couple on the back of my neck and the older ones seem to be fading and healing over. How red they are varies with it would seem age and how much they've been scratched.

Image of abdomen/chest. http://i59.[image removed]/23moshy.jpg
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2014
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

It can be due to hives. The standard treatment of hives is oral antihistaminics and topical steroids. Oral antihistaminics relieve itching and you can get them over the counter but some of them may cause drowsiness and hence should be taken under a medical guidance. Topical steroids is available by prescription from a dermatologist.
In addition you can apply calamine lotion which will help in soothing the skin and take some vitamin C which is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. You can also take a diet rich in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.