Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Are there classes of steroids that interact with OPC?

User Profile
Hello. I want to take an OPC (oligomeric proanthocyanidins) supplement which usually contains grape seed extract, pine bark extract (pycnogenol), and other antioxidants. I heard many positive things about them including antioxidant properties, immune building, anti inflammatory, etc. I've read that these should not be taken with steroids (specifically for me, testosterone replacement) but am not sure why. The only information I've received is not to take them and wait 4-6 weeks after taking a steroid. Are there certain classes of steroids that specifically interact with OPC? Does this mean I should not be taking ANY antioxidants? Some people have suggested they could actually help prevent the liver and heart damage steroids cause. It feels like "better safe than sorry" advice that could prevent me from experiencing benefits from this product. Thank you for your help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2012
Nutrition Answer A34620
Welcome to e health forum.

Most of the health supplements that have antiinflammatory and immunomodulatory effects act on steroid type receptors within the body. Hence use along with steroids (including anabolic steroids) can result in toxicity. This is the reason why such medications should always be taken after due advice from a medical professional.

All antioxidants are not steroids. Antioxidants like Vitamin E, B complex vitamins, beta carotenoids, poly unsaturated fatty acids, etc are very safe and can be taken at all times, including when on steroids.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nutrition , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.