Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cerebral Palsy Forum

Are there BCI controlled prosthetic arms?

Are there BCI (Brain Computer Interface) controlled fully automatic prosthetic arms (mond controlled prosthetic arms)available in the market anywhere in the world? There is a my friend who completely lost his right arm functioning and needs a prosthetic arm. But he doesn't know much information about the products currently available in the market. I have heard that there is mind controlled arms but not sure whether it is still in research phase. Please answer me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
Proprioception — the awareness of the position of one's own body — is a crucial component of the motor control system, the researchers note, and loss of proprioceptive input leads to gross deficits in motor performance. Proprioceptive feedback is beneficial during motor learning in rehabilitation following brain injury. Patients lacking proprioception who had deficiencies in arm movements had significant limitations in their ability to make reaching movements without visual guidance, the authors note.

Patients can control prosthetic arms with a brain-computer interface (BCI) implanted in the brain. However, BCI-controlled prosthetics currently operate without sensory feedback. Instead, patients using BCI must rely on their vision to move these prosthetic limbs.
it is under continuous research and Dr. Neimati and Dr. Tyler-Kabata are the key researchers in this field.
Lets hope for the best.
Take care.
|

replied May 9th, 2014
Excuse me... I am not clear whether there are BCI-controlled prosthesis in the market. Do u mean that there are ones without sensory feedback? .... or are even the ones without sensory feedback are yet in research level?
And if there are ones in the market can u please name a vendor or a brand name please?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cerebral Palsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.