Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Are there any medications for racing suicidal thoughts?

User Profile
For 2 weeks now I have had these thoughts that are not audible but are like a background conversation going on in my head. The thoughts are focused on suicide. I hear "Do you want to die? Do you want to kill yourself? I wish I were dead. I need help. Is there anybody out there?". These thoughts are repetitive although they vary from time to time. I find myself looking up suicide methods while at the same time seeking help. I was just released from the hospital but my symptoms are still the same. I was prescribed 60mgs of Prozac, 300 mg of wellbutrin, and put on a dose of loxapine that has increased to 50mg per night. My Dr. also put me on ambien and 10mg of valium for sleep. I have been on 40 mg of dexedrine for over a year now for major depression, I couldn't get out of bed without it. (20 mg in the morning and 20 mg in the afternoon). I don't drink or use any drugs that he hasn't prescribed. I am asking if anyone can suggest a treatment for racing suicidal thoughts. I am open to any help whatsoever. This is really wearing me down. My Dr. doesn't know if it is bipolar or some aspect of OCD. I have no other OCD symptoms though. Is there anybody out there?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper oopsagain
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2012
I really feel for you. As far as alternative treatments go I have heard that fish oil without the mercury as well as valerian root and st John's wart can be helpful. Ask your local health food store for more suggestions.
I have used biofeedback and have had some success with racing thoughts. What really helps me is a meditation tape that focuses on relaxing your physical body, not any of that new age leave your body or wild bird sounding rain forest stuff. Those can be useful but my Dr. told me that with racing thoughts you want to focus on the body and not be carried away on mystical journeys during your meditations.
I'm not familiar with Loxapine except that it is an antipsychotic and has been used for racing thoughts in small doses and for schizophrenia in larger doses. Have you tried lamictal or a mood stabilizer? Keep in touch, I'm pulling for you!
|

User Profile
I am concerned and hope that you talk to your Dr. first thing in the morning because although you are reaching out for help suicidal thoughts can wear you down. Let your Dr. know the severity of your condition and if you feel he or she isn't listening confront them and if necessary get a second opinion.
|

User Profile
When these thoughts go through your head tell yourself to STOP! Not necessarily out loud but to yourself. Repeat affirmations like, "I want to live!" Don't let suicide be an option. I agree meditation is important to keep these thoughts at bay once you get them under control.

Peace and Love
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2012
Thanks for your input. I have used your suggestions and now as these thoughts race through my head sometimes they go "Stop. calm down." and continue, "Do you want to die? I wish I were dead. Please help. I don't want to live.." and on and on and on and on......
I like the affirmation "I want to live". I have been repeating that to myself. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Does sound more like bipolar than OCD to me, they might even be interpreting your racing suicidal thoughts as "psychotic features" (which would explain the loxapine), sometimes associated with bipolar I (that's how they initially diagnosed me).

The loxapine should be helping with those symptoms, how long have you been taking it? You mentioned you'd been having symptoms for two weeks, how long since you got into the hospital and they medicated you?

Even if that's what you really need, antipsychotics are tricky, and that just might not be the right one for you. As with all psychotropic meds, no one fully understands just how they actually work, so there can be a bit of guesswork involved.

Warning, stay away from that St. John's wort while you're taking SSRI's or other mood altering pharmaceuticals, there's a rare but potentially fatal reaction called serotonin syndrome that can result from their interaction. Not saying that St. John's wort is otherwise bad, just don't combine them. And it's always good to make sure your doc and your pharmacist know any herbal supplements you're using, there are countless drug (and food) interactions.

And please be careful with ambien, it tends to make people do all sorts of things in their sleep--walk, drive, get arrested, get into fights, all with no memory of it the next day. There've been reports of it causing vivid hallucinations, too. I'd suggest doing some research on ambien and its side effects, and then talk to your doc as well.

But all that is meds, and they're just supposed to be part of your support system. The suggestion of a counter "STOP!" "I want to live!" can be a useful tool, too. Meditation probably is a good idea, as anything that will calm and center you can help.
|
Users who thank Ozy for this post: romeo803 

User Profile
Thanks for your response. I went into the hospital 2 weeks ago today and got out last Friday. Today I started an outpatient partial program and the intake counselor called my Dr. after I showed her a page of these thoughts that keep going through my head. I was writing so fast it was hard to keep up with the thoughts and put them on paper but I showed it to her because I wanted her to understand. She was concerned I may have been released too soon and she is probably right but I'd rather take my chances than go back into the hospital again. There is too much free time and the patients just like to watch Maury Povich and Swamp People all afternoon. It was either watch that or go back to your empty room. My Dr. prescribed 5mg of Prolixin pdr every 8 hours but I can't say that I noticed a difference. Today when I he called the outpatient program I asked if he could increase the dosage because I'm still having the same symptoms and he said that increasing the antipsychotic wouldn't help. I started out on a very low dose of loxapine 2 weeks ago and it was increased to 50mg about 10 days ago. So far no relief. I appreciate your heads up about the ambien and St. John's Wort.
As far as the antipsychotics go I requested one that wouldn't make me gain weight. I'm not sure if it's as good as others like seroquel or geodon or not. I'm just trying to hang in there until I can get some relief. My doc is going to meet me at the partial program tomorrow morning for a brief consultation. Once again, thank you for your post. If you happen to know of any other meds that can help these racing thoughts please let me know.
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2012
Experienced User
Hmm...you might ask your doc what he thinks of something specifically for bipolar mania (racing thoughts like you describe are a classic symptom), like lithium or depakote. Wait, I remember what you mentioned about weight gain, that means you'll want to stay away from both of those, lol. Maybe there's something else in that same class that's weight neutral.

Trying to think of antipsychotics I've taken that worked much at all. Let's see...zyprexa (olanzapine) is bad for weight gain (plus it turns people into zombies), though it did do its job really well...abilify (aripiprazole) isn't bad, it doesn't fog your head like so many other antipsychotics do, and I didn't gain any weight on it...risperdal (risperidone) worked well, but only for 8 months or so, no weight problems (in fact I lost weight on this med)...that's all the potentially helpful meds I have personal experience with (the ones that worked, at least).

Weight gain wise I've read good things about geodon (ziprasidone) and seroquel (quetiapine). My son had good results with seroquel as far as effectiveness. My experience with geodon was just...bad, but I know it works for some people. Just goes to show how much of a your-mileage-may-vary game this is, both in terms of effectiveness and side effects.
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2012
Thanks for your reply. My doc just put me on 1/2 to 1 mg resperidol at bedtime. I am starting to feel some relief and want you to know how priceless it is to get a reply from someone especially when your in such a desperate situation. It's great to be heard. I appreciate your advice.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Glad you found something helpful in it. Smile
|

Active User, very eHealthy
No, there are no medications for this. At least not meds that won't make you suicidal, which defeats the purpose entirely.

You just need time to sort it out in my opinion. Don't have any time huh?
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2012
Thanks for your opinion. I'm in an outpatient partial hospitalization program right now and I think you are right no meds can help. At least not with suicidal thoughts. They did however help to ease the constant dialog in my head. At least I am learning some coping skills and seeing a Dr. 3x a week in this program. I appreciate your input.
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....