Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Are there any alternatives to an open heart surgery?

My friend's father recently suffered a heart attack and was advised to undergo angiography. The test showed 100% blockage in two of his arteries and was recommended open heart surgery. He is 61 years old and has suffered from hypertension and high blood pressure for the past 3 years. He has lived with the fear of doctors and surgeries all his life and is now strongly refusing to undergo the surgery. No amount of convincing from the doctor or the family seems to help. There seems to be very little chance that the patient might change his mind about the surgery. In such a case with his condition, are there any alternatives to a bypass? Or is there any other temporary solution he can take up till the family manages to talk him into surgery?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2011
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you. My sincere suggestion is to convince him for the bypass surgery as there’s no other method once 2 vessels are 100% blocked.

Angioplasty is another option but usually is not used in such a scenario. Till he gets convinced for the surgery, he can be put on medications like beta blockers, aspirin, clopidogrel, isosorbide mononitrate etc.

Please consult a cardiologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.