Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

are inflammation of the cartlidge and diarrhea related?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
i am having pain at my lower left rib cage. had xrays and md says it is inflammation of the cartlidge. But i am also having diarrhea and don't understand how the two can be related. should I get a second opinion? this is day 3 of hurting.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The probable condition you might be having is costochondritis associated with viral infection.

Costochondritis is inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum. The condition causes localized chest wall pain and tenderness that you can reproduce by pushing on the involved cartilage in the front of the rib cage. Most cases of costochondritis have no apparent cause, and they usually subside spontaneously without treatment.

The cause of diarrhea in your case, is probably due to the viral infection, and not a direct effect of costochondritis. You may get relief from the loose stools by using OTC antidiarrheals like imodium or loperamide.

Taking medications like Ibuprofen (Advil, motrin) can help in relieving the pain associated with costochondritis. In case, they do not help, you may need treatment with prescription medications like antidepressants to control the pain.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.