Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

applying topical benadryl and ingesting benadryl

I have always been severely allergic to insect bites and now I have multiple bed bug bites and I went from feeling healthier and better ( I was working out a lot etc) to feeling completely drained and low on energy.

I realize my immune system is overwhelmed from this attack but apart from applying topical benadryl and ingesting benadryl is there anything else I can do?

We don't have bed bugs in our home because I was exposed to them at work when a customer brought in their contaminated mattress and stripped down at my front door and uncontaminated my car.

So no bed bugs at my house.

To compound this issue Tennessee had a severe snow storm a few days ago and my mom's coworker brought her flea bitten dog to work (I'm not making this up) and she came home and cuddled with me on my queen sized bed and now I have flea bites...

The good thing is I recognized the flea bite even if I can't see the darned flea because we used to have cats and rescuing a tabby kitten came with consequences (mostly for my Persians).

I no longer have cats because I developed asthma at work when my boss kept smoking his electric cigarette while working with me for over 10+ hours several days in a row.

Cats aggravated my asthma so I gave them away.

So now we've taken treatment measures against the fleas (I honestly doubt they are eradicated; it's only been 2 days since I started getting flea bites but fleas are not so easy to treat once they are exposed to your home) but I am concerned with my body shutting down.

It looks like I have chicken pox, I even have it on my face and neck.

I admit I scratched myself a bit but I have stopped now.

What else can I do? To prevent aggravating my bug bites more, to reduce the swelling I mean.

I have no energy, I feel dizzy, nausea, loss of appetite, slight headache, and utterly fatigued (despite not having done anything) and I am concerned about what I will do tomorrow when I work a 12 hour shift.

Last time I had fleas it took me 6 months+ to heal from those bites and over a year for the scars to heal.

I don't have many flea bites (just 6 or 7) but I am positively covered in bed bug bites (thankfully I am sure we have no bed bugs because I took safety measures) what can I do to recover faster? I want to improve without killing myself.

I know I need to heal but I don't want to lose any progress I was making working out and the problem is I have like no energy.

Honestly, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, and because I had fleas before I have taken drastic measures in combating that after I saw the first flea bite. I don't see us keeping the fleas for over a month with all the sanitation/washing/spraying we are doing.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2016
If you think, you have severe allergic reactions to various insect bites, you should consult your doctor and seek prescription for stronger antiallergy medications like Singulair or Allegra (fexofenidine), which can help relieve your symptoms faster.

In addition, you should consult a pest controller who can help you deal with the insect infestation at your place.

I hope this helps.
|

replied March 30th, 2016
Since I was taking benadryl at the time I wanted to know if there was another remedy that was not pills;

Cold applecider vinegar worked even better than topical benadryl for the inflammation that got really bad because in the 3 weeks it took me to combat the fleas (did not call pest control; extreme sanitation and flea bug spray works for first month it is the second month that if fleas are not completely eradicated they are resistent to bug spray in that generation and have learned to avoid humans and are harder to kill) I got bitten a lot by fleas and because I am allergic the flea bites got very swollen compounding my bad bug bite issue.

However after I eradicated the fleas I had no more insect bites, and the bed bug bites were healing nicely too. To deal with the healng scars I applied grapeseed oil and currently my skin is mostly clear and smooth except for 4 healing flea bites that are mere specks but that took longer to heal because I scratched myself.

Pest control can worsen things too you know (bringing even more parasite exposure to your house) but if you know what to do it's best to take care of it because the nature of the business for pest control is to come back because they are still alive-

-That is to say that they don't want to kill all of the pests so that you shell out more money.

I realized that I was exposed to bed bugs from online article and made sure to decontaminate car with spray purchased abruptly from Lowes and stripped before entering my home. I realized I had fleas and enacted extreme measures, they were killed within 3 weeks. Completely.

For my skin cold apple cider vinegar worked best applied with a towel. Then grapeseed oil for cictrice from bugbites.

The solution I needed was not stronger allergy medication, I think Benadryl was doing all it could for my severe allergic reaction internally, topical application was a great relief from the constant itch and helped lessen severe swelling.

Sometimes it's good to think outside of the box.
|

replied March 30th, 2016
Thanks for responding and thinking of a solution, I truly appreciate your consideration to do so sir.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.