I had my appendix removed 4 days ago after it ruptured. Post op: my stomach is filled with air and it is very uncomfortable from the 3 laproscopy incisions. I understand this takes a while to go away. However, my legs, butt and feet are swollen with water that surgeons say this is from the IV and my body is supposed to absorb it. This is just not slight swelling, especially in my upper thighs. Its horribly uncomfortable and nasty looking. Is this really normal after surgery, and could I take a water pill to help it? I have been trying to walk, which is hard with "huge" legs. I've also propped my feet up with pillows when lying bed.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper appendixgrrl
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Pain or discomfort at the incisional sites is usually present for the first few days, but in some cases it may take even up to few weeks for complete ceasing.
Abdominal swelling along with cramping can be experienced within first days following this procedure, too.
Swollen legs should prompt medical attention since may indicate heart problem or presence of blood clots in major blood vessels of lower abdomen or pelvis.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied October 21st, 2009
Thanks! Yeah, I showed my huge legs to them in the hospital lol. They didn't seem to concerned. However, the swelling has gone down a little which is a relief.
|
Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...