Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Appearance after anorexia?

I'm physically recovered from anorexia now but my hair is not as nice looking as it used to be and is thinner and not as soft. I didn't have anorexia for a huge length of time, will my hair get back to the good condition it used to be in soon? xxx
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 2nd, 2009
hi! so good to hear that youre in recovery from such a horrible disorder! im right there with you! ive been in recovery for about six years now. before my eating disorder, i had incredibly (almost unmanagable) thick wavy curly hair. as you know, during my low point with my eating disorder a lot of it fell out. while it is still not the way that it was before i had my issues, it continues to get better. its shine has returned and some of the body. your hair, skin, and nails all reflect your level of nutrition in similar ways. and while you may be healthy now, it takes some time to rebuild the protiens and nutrients that make your hair look and feel healthy. so my advice is not to worry about it, but to keep up with your healthy eating habbits. you may also want to take vitamins if you dont already. ive been told that eating products with gelatin in them help your hair and nails but im not a huge fan of jello so i dont know. what i do though, is warm up olive oil and soak my hair in it for about a half hour before shampooing about once a month. this helps a lot with its shine and softness. hope this helps!
|

replied September 4th, 2009
my cousin had an eating disorder and her hair got really thin and brittle and fell out in places but it is growing back and getting normal
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....