Is there any procedure which will open up an aortic valve instead of having valve replacement surgery done?

The valve is under .3 which is considered critical but the person is so old, they would not survive traditional valve replacement surgery.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2014
Dear myopracticworks !

Balloon Aortic valvuloplasty can help but the problem with this procedure is that aortic stenosis recurrence rate is high. and after 5 years almost all valves get back to original stenotic condition. So currently this procedure is performed in very less centers. You must know that aortic stenosis have very poor prognosis and you must calculate the risk of not treating patient for comparing it with valve surgery risk.

Hope this helped.
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.