Hello,

I'm basically stressing myself out because I suspect that I might have an aortic aneurysm or something like that. I'm a 21 year old female, I smoked from around ages 14 to 19 and my metabolism is very high (I've been skinny all my life). I take Propranolol 40mg twice daily. I also suspect that I have Marfan Syndrome - I have long fingers and hands and quite a long face, flat feet, nearsightedness and mis-shapen chest. Aneurysms are common in people with Marfan.

Around 5 years ago I suddenly had severe chest pain - it felt very heavy and tense, as if a car had ran over it. I was admitted to hospital for a few days but they found nothing wrong, they said it must have been my anxiety and sent me to a psychologist.

2 years ago I had very loud heart murmurs, especially audible when I lay down, and irregular heartbeat. I went to see an emergency doctor who said it didn't sound normal and I should get it checked out. So I saw my General Practitioner about this and again, I was told it was anxiety and I was prescribed 40mg Propranolol to take twice daily.
Since then, the murmurs and my anxiety have disappeared but I still occasionally get chest pains (maybe two or three times a week, hard to say) - on my left side only, and it is usually a quick sharp / shooting pain that only lasts a few seconds. It most commonly happens when I have stomach gas, as if the pressure is causing the pain.

I'm very suspicious that something is going on with my heart or chest that neither doctors were able to find out - what does it sound like it could be? I'm going to make a doctors appointment soon and try to tell them about all of this as eloquently as I can, and just hope that they don't shrug it off as anxiety again as that is getting very annoying.

Thanks very muchly,

Emily
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2012
Quick, sharp shooting pains on the left side are almost never from the heart, and probably have no relation to the aorta. The question you raise about possibly having Marfan's syndrome is something I cannot comment upon. Frankly, I don't understand how it is that you had loud heart murmurs in the past which have disappeared.
There are cardiologists at medical centers that are particularly concerned with Marfan's syndrome, and I would suggest that you seek out one of these centers to be examined. Obviously, recurrent anxiety does not rule out the presence of organic heart disease.
Please be aware that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.