My 83 year-old mother is being considered for open heart surgery to replace the aorta valve in her heart. While she is in good health for someone that age, I am concerned that the severity of such surgery, and resulting reecovery, will place severe strain on her overall health and subsequent lifestyle.

So I'm curious if anyone has experience with heart surgery of this type, in persons at an advanced age, and the recovery process. thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2012
Progressive disease of the aortic valve is not unusual in older patients. The surgery does carry a greater risk because of age, but oftentimes the risk of surgery is considerably less than the risk of doing nothing. You seem to be aware of the realistic fact that older persons take considerably longer to recover from such surgery.
There is a new method of dealing with the aortic valve problem that consists of approaching the valve using a catheter passed up the artery from the groin. This is a relatively new procedure, puts less strain on older persons, but does carry the risk of such complications as a stroke. To the best of my knowledge, such procedures have been reserved for older patients whose medical condition does not allow for a surgical approach.
I have referred older patients for aortic valve surgery and have been pleased at their good response, though recovery takes longer. If your mother has an experienced surgeon, do discuss with him the questions you are asking here.
Please be aware that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|

replied January 25th, 2012
Thank you Dr.Miller. I believe my mother is in good hands with a cardiologist and cardiology surgeon in Atlanta, both associated with St. Joseph's hospital in that city, which I understand is a very good cardio hospital. I will pass this information on to my brotehr who lives in the area, and who is helping my mother and I with this decision. Thank you again for your post.
|
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.