User Profile
Hi,
I've been taking atenolol for almost 8 years - initially for a heart rhythm issue I had back in 2004 - which successfully resolved. The Dr kept me on a very low dose for preventative measures. I've had low BP readings all my life - till last week. We were weaning me off the 12.5 mg of atenolol and the BP spiked. 150/90. Now I'm totally freaked out - which isn't helping things one bit, I know... I've had many, many stressful eldercare issues over the last 10 years, lost a job and started my own business. I'm trying to check my pressure at home, but get quite tense, now, just placing the cuff on my arm! Geeze!
So, we have upped the dose to 25 mg 2x a day.
How long does it usually take for the BP to drop? Have any of you had good success with Atenolol?
What symptoms do you have when your pressure is up?
Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2012
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Let me inform you that the drugs taken for hypertension do not produce the effect on dose to dose basis. These drugs when taken for a long period of time cause downregulation of receptors thus producing the effect.

Missing one or two doses in between decreases the overall effect of the medicine taken and in some cases might even lead to rebound hypertension.

It is always recommended to take your antihypertensives regularly without missing any doses. The effect on readings of blood pressure will be seen after two months of regular treatment and Atenolol is quite effective drug for BP control.If there is no change even after 15 days and there is no relief it means that the drug you are getting are insufficient to control your blood pressure and the treatment you are getting needs to be reconsidered.

Avoid stress as it can increase the BP.Do some form of exercise and restrit smoking and alcohol.
Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.