Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

any truth to passing drugs on through a man's sperm?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I was just watching an interview where a woman stated her husband was a cocaine user and her Doctor told her to wear a condom as cocaine can be passed from the man's sperm into the woman's vagina causing reproductive problems. Is there any thruth to this?

Also, if there is any truth to passing drugs on through a man's sperm, if a man is taking anabolic steroids for long periods of time, what are the risks, if any, that a woman gets passed (via his sperm) the steriod, is there any reproductive risks?
I ask because I just found out my ex was using both without my knowledge, starting 20 years ago. We were together for 10 years. And have been apart for 10 years. However recently we spoke and he confessed his drug use to me when we were together. 5 years ago I had tumors on both of my ovaries and, after 2 surgeries, both of my ovaries and fallopian tubes were removed. I was diagnosed with severe endometriosis. I wonder now, after all these years if my ex passed this problem to me.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2011
Sexual Health - Women Answer A21592
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Yes, it is possible that cocaine and steroids get excreted in semen, and both can increase the risk of endometriosis. However, a direct link as the only cause cannot be confirmed. Please ask your gynecologist. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.