Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

any disadvantages to drinking my fruits and vegetables

User Profile
Are there any disadvantages to drinking fruits and vegetables from a blender instead of eating them as they are?

If I ate all the fruits and vegetables I should, it would take a lot of time every day to wash them, cut off/out the inedible parts, and chew them.

I hope I don't sound desperately lazy, but I'd love to save time by washing and trimming 4-5 days' worth of produce at once, throwing it all in a blender, and drinking it over the next four days.

Would I digest the fruits and vegetables less thoroughly if I drank them instead of chewing and salivating?

Would the liquid lose any nutrients while it sat in the refrigerator for a few days before I drank it?

Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

If you are not throwing away the liquid portion of the blended fruits, then there is no loss of nutrients.

The only thing would be that keeping the blended drinks for periods longer than 48 hours would lose their taste and there is risk of contamination with bacteria and fungi. Hence it would be recommended that you consume the fruit blend within 48 hours after preparation.

Not to mention that the blended fruits should be kept refrigerated at all times.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Nutrition
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nutrition , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.