Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spinal Injuries Forum

Any connection between RFA and further deterioration?

User Profile
While having Radio Frequency Ablation performed on right and left facet joints,the plastic air insert was sticking my nose.I only moved my head around to try and get it to stop hurting my nose. The doctor and nurse stayed mad for the next few visits.About 4 years later,I got severe pain in my neck and they found 4 bulged disk in my neck with 2 pressuring my spinal cord.I had the worst disk replaced.Is there a connection to the RFA that is going to cause further deterioration?I can't think of anything else happening to my neck.I'm only needing to know what can be in my future.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2015
Spinal Injuries Answer A51335
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the relation of radiofrequency ablation with bulging disc.

Radiofrequency ablation is a minimally invasive procedure and it is very unlikely to cause such a strain on the spine that it causes a herniated or bulging disc. It is usually caused by improper lifting techniques, repeated actions during work which produce a strain on the neck like repetitive lifting, bending, standing and driving, sports related injuries and family history of disc diseases.

You need to consult an orthopedician and discuss the various treatment options with him.

Non-surgical methods of treatment are usually attempted first, leaving surgery as a last resort and these include non steroidal drugs, lumbosacral back support and steroid injections.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Spinal Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.