Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Anxious and stressed when alone

User Profile
Hi, i am 20 years old. I am embarrassed by this. When i am not with fiancee, i get very anxious, stressed and sometimes very angry. i get worried incase i may have some condition that i am not aware of. i also have a very short attention span. however, the most worrying part for me is that i have no interest in social interaction at all. I have never been out with a group of people without the comfort of my fiancees hand ,if i am with her i am as normal as anyone else,but alone i start to become very stressed and anxious (especially in larger groups) and nervous for example it is a friday night and i made a rediculous excuse not to go out with my work collegues because i was scared to. I also can be (for want of a better phrase) very suspicios and untrusting even of people i have known for many year. I would appreciate any advice you have.

Thank you very much.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2009
Mental Conditions Answer A8224
Hello.

You might be going through a phase where you have social anxiety due to or not related to social a loss of social interest, with dependence upon your partner.

It is a good thing that you feel comfortable in the company of your fiancée, but you might have to avoid judging yourself on the basis of your relationship with your fiancée. That's usually the reason why you feel uneasy or scared when you are not with her.

As far as being suspicious and un-trusting of people, you may visit a psychiatrist in your area for a clinical interview and assessment and some appropriate psychological tests for a better understanding of your problem.

Meanwhile, it will be helpful to you if you try and stop being anxious about any serious condition you may have. This anxiety actually worsens the problem. You may talk to your fiancée about this situation and see if you can come up with some new insights.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is neither intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, nor to create a doctor-patient relationship.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.