Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

anxious and have to visit the toilet many times.

User Profile
Please can you help or point me in the right direction.
I am 43 years old and used to be very outgoing and loved going to different places.
Over the last 4 years I have developed IBS and I get anxious about going somewhere new and going on a train causes panic attacks.
Before going out I have to visit the loo several times both wee and poo.
When I am out I am still anxious and have to visit the toilet many times.
Also arranging to go somewhere new or unfamiliar causes me to stress about the toilets or parking etc and in turn makes me feel ill and ruins the day.
My boyfriend tries to understand but it does ruin the time we spend together because I am always complaining about feeling ill or rushing to the toilet and I now come across as miserable and boring.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A26396
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Majority of IBS patients have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Another 20% have depression, and the rest have other disorders. Even the stress of planning a journey are thought to cause chemical changes or imbalances in the brain that may in turn influence motility (the propelling of contents through the gut).

You should start with the treatment of IBS after consulting a gastroenterologist. Treatment includes addition of more fiber in your diet,cessation of smoking and taking stress,antispasmodic medicines,antidiarrheal medicines,antidepressants and new medicines like Alosetron (Lotronex) and Tegaserod (Zelnorm).

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations, and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.