Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety, Stress or Depression? What's wrong with me?

So sorry for the length! I just want to be as detailed as possible so the answers are accurate.. Please try to help me?

I don't feel like myself. I can't seem to connect myself with my surroundings or people.. especially my loved ones.. It's frustrating because I'm emotionally disconnected with important events in my life like my graduation and senior ball when one is supposed to be happy. I was looking forward to those events before this weird thing hit me wherein I had the hardest time feeling any emotion.. All I felt was empty. I couldn't feel happiness or fulfillment from people or events.. I can't feel love or excitement which scares me A LOT. Because I'm usually an emotionally aware person..These milestones like graduating and such excited me, I didn't feel anxious for it at all! There was no worry involved and it didn't stress me out.. But now I don't feel anything for these events which make me so frustrated. I should be feeling something for these people and things but I'm just so out of it!

I considered depression, yes. But after trying the emotional freedom techniques, I could finally feel negative emotions (only) and be less fatigued and I eat and function regularly except for the fact that I can't seem to connect to my surroundings, my memories, my dreams and ambitions and my loved ones emotionally.. What could be the problem? It's like there's an invisible wall between me and the people I love...

What should I do? It's very frustrating because it's causing me to think that I don't care about these people or I don't care about my ambitions and dreams anymore especially with my boyfriend and our future even if I know very much that I love him and I'd be lying if I said I didn't. It's like it erased my positive emotions for anything and it's making me think I don't like the things or people I like because of this emptiness I feel when I'm around them...

What can I do to connect to my feelings again? Especially for my loved ones.. My therapist says this is a phase and it will pass, I just have to stop saying 'I can't feel anything' and just go with the flow and eventually the feelings will come back. How do I do this without feeling scared and anxious that I will stay this way forever and not love the things I love anymore...? Please help me?

For additional info: This has been going on for two months now.. It all started with a health scare. I thought I was in some serious condition when in fact it was very common and I freaked out about it a lot when I figured that I had it but when it went away after a few days.. is when I started to notice that things weren't the same with me and my surroundings and the people around me.

I'm scared it's becoming a part of me and I'm starting to think this is the real me even when I know it isn't! Everything changed so much too fast! It can't be.. It's impossible, I know the real me is still somewhere in here.. it's just blocked by something..

If it helps.. I feel like very minimal positive emotions from time to time. Like happines that will last like 5 seconds or I'll miss my boyfriend and that makes me happy cause I finally miss him but it doesn't last long and it's very faint.. is that a sign of something? Also, I have these urges or something inside telling me I should do this or that.. It's not a 'feeling' but it's just something that I know I'm supposed to do or say and it's right for me.. something like a gut feeling.. that happens more often now than it did while the 'phase' was still new.. When my mood is better, and when my mind is off of the freaking out about the whole apathy thing.. I actually get to feel more emotions but it's just faint...I'm scared the it's turning into permanent apathy. Please, is there any way to treat it from setting in and becoming who I am? I know this isn't me!

What to do?

I don't care about anything else. I just want to be happy and love my boyfriend again.. The only time I know that I'm better is when I sense these again. Because he has made me the happiest girl alive and I just feel all the guilt in the world when this happened it was like something just switched off.. and there was absolutely NO PROBLEM in our relationship before this happened that might have caused the disconnection. So surely, I still love him.. There's just something in the way. And I need to get it out ASAP before the apathy sets in.. And I'm praying it never does...

HELP! :'(
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper homaygad2ne1
|

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with depression.
You would need antidepressants like SSRI to combat this problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2019
Untreated depression is a high risk factor for suicide. In Australia there are about 3,000 suicides each year. Seventy-five per cent of people who take their lives are men. with an average of almost six men taking their lives every day. Suicide is the leading cause of death for men under the age of 45, significantly exceeding the national road toll.It’s important to remember that anxiety and depression are medical conditions, not weaknesses, and effective treatments are available.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.