Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

anxiety problems that are causing TMJ and tight muscles?

User Profile
I am a 31 yr old male, diagnosed with epilepsy at age 14 which got under control with meds at 20 yrs. 5 years ago they came back worse, resulting in changes in medication and with no luck from that, the neuro referred me to Level 4 epilepsy center. After testing it was found that I have medically refractory MTLE-HS, I ineligible for lobectomy and so started in the RNS pivotal clinical trial. The Epi. told me I also have anxiety issues.

Recently I started therapy and was diagnosed with ADHD and started on Vyvanse by the psych. My question is, with my anxiety problems that at times get to the point of causing TMJ and tight muscles when I have attacks, I am on Lexapro for that, ambien for sleep and already on Ativan as a seizure rescue med. I don't have it constantly but when the attacks come they are horrible. I am wondering if Ativan may help as it did once when given to me for anxiety or since I am taking it as a rescue med for epilepsy what options they may recommend?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 28th, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A26344
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If you had been on Ativan before for anxiety issues, then it might work. But if you have already been on it for some time and still having anxiety related issues, then you might need to be put on other medications along with counseling sessions for guidance to cope up with the anxiety attacks and help to reduce them. Be in regular follow-up and monitoring of your psychiatrist and neurologist for control of symptoms along with dose re-adjustments of medications if needed from time to time for better control.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.