Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Anxiety, Panic Attacks, on the roller coaster of meds again

I have always had anxiety but only a decade ago did I develop panic. I had been off any type of medication for this disorder for one year and functioned fine until a cluster of stressors developed. Out of nowhere, I began to have panic attacks again. Initially I thought it was physical as my stomach had become bloated and I was having bouts of diarrhea, weakness, chills, etc..I would go to the ER to find that I had a UTI which was treated, but the stomach sx's persisted. I awakened one day, feeling jelly legs, unable to stand and feeling I might pass out. I went to the doctor and he did some blood work and a urinalysis which revealed only minor troubles; low vitamin d and thyroid a little low. He prescribed Clonazepam to address anxiety. Initially I didn't know if they were of help as I felt no different so I returned thinking that in the past, Lexapro had been of help in stabilizing my anxiety so he added that; I had only been on the Clonazepam for about two weeks. When I coupled these medications, I don't know if it was a combination of the two but I could not get out of bed; nausea, dizziness, some agoraphobia, palpitations, muscle spasms. I called my doctor who told me to stop the Lexapro for which I had been on four days. This is day three of being off of them and I don't feel much better. I feel panic just under the surface, still some agoraphobia, slowness in everything I do....a hesitancy to get up for fear I'll feel light headed again. It's like a personal hell I can't escape. I was literally doing better before starting anything with only the occasional panic attack. Now, I feel as if I am on the roller coaster of meds; try this-side effects and doesn't work, then try this.....the continual cycle, getting me nowhere. It's imperative I function again as I am a single parent. I am unable to feel steady enough to even get out of bed yet. My question is, are these feelings I'm experiencing residuals from the Lexapro? Will I ever return to my normal functioning? Will the Clonazepam stop the anxiety and agoraphobia? What are Clonazepam's long term benefits? I understand that it is a Benzodiazapine and that was my reasoning for adding the Lexapro; thinking he could ween me off of the benzo once the Lexapro took effect. Now, I feel I'm trapped without help. Please anyone with advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2016
I am in the same position but I have been on clonozolam for 3 years and it does help with the panic attacks but now I'm at the point to where I just got cut off from my doctor I still have 5 refills but I know that my body and brain are addicted to them. Even though I never have abused them. Most of the time I don't even take the 3 a day that I am perscribed. But it's trading one for the other because I have tried before the meds the cognitive training the breathing and it just doesn't work for me. So the klonopin are what help me. I am worried because doctors here in texas are getting strict about perscribING benzos. I am trapped as well I wish I new what to tell u. But yea I got put on pro-active and topamax and those meds made me feel worse like u r describing. So I quit taking them
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Anxiety, Diarrhea
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...