Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Anxiety , insomnia and hearing voices

Hello there guys,

I posted this on another part of the forum, however i wasnt getting a reply there and this part seems to get much better replies. Anyway, if im breaking the rules by doing this please delete this post. Either way..this is what i put, any help,advice and ideas would be very welcome.

Bit of information about me first. I am a 21 year old male that is physically quite healthy despite chain smoking, binge drinking (recently cut down), and recreational drug taking (this was done after my problems started, not before - and have recently stopped).

Now mentally is a different story. Some of these problems started years ago (eg the voices) some of them have built up with time (anxiety) and some ive had since before i can remember (insomnia, problems with my moods etc). Anyways I'll start with the problems that bother me the most first and work my way down. The most worrying to me is anxiety. Now, oddly enough this comes and goes..ill have it for a few weeks, and then i wont have it for maybe a month or two. But when ive got it then it really is severe and i spend most of my day actually scared for my life from things that might be wrong with my body (which dont actually exist). Secondly is odd voices in my head. Now i say voices..but its more like 2 people arguing with each other rather loudly. I cant actually understand anything of what they are saying but i can 'hear' them clearly. This also seems to move to my 'normal voice' inside my head, the one that i think with...and that starts shouting my thoughts at me rather than saying them. This also comes and goes, but doesnt last very long...usually only only for a few hours every so often but it has times where is comes more often than others (if that makes any sence). The voices are also accompanied by the strange feeling of my brain kind of whirring round...i dont mean i feel like im spinning but i mean everything in my head is going so fast and i cant quite pin a singular thought down..this feeling is more common than the voices and makes it really difficult to get any work done but always comes on at the same time as the voices.(by the way, im having this problem right this moment so if this post makes very little sence i apologise.) Also, insomnia...which comes and goes, doesnt really need much explaination.

There are a few other things with my moods or attitude towards people and what not but i do believe i have these under control. Things like having times where im just really depressed or times where im really angry at everything, often for no reason (this is really quite common) or even times where i act like im the greatest person alive and nothing can touch me. (btw i dont actually believe im the greatest person alive when that happens, just...better than most people)

Now, i have had a bit of a look around to find out what was wrong with me and came across bipolar. Which matched a lot of things but i cant seem to place any sort of pattern on my moods, or how they relate to the other problems. So i threw that one in my mental trash bin. Anyways, i came across this site and figured someone might have a more informed idea than me.

So thankyou in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 31st, 2010
OK, i would like to make it clear to anyone who might reply to this and whoever changed the name the recreational drug use was AFTER the signs and symptoms. I have had most these problems for a very long time and would like to ask whoever the moderator is around here to READ.

I mean...i clearly state this here :

'and recreational drug taking (this was done after my problems started, not before - and have recently stopped).'

Thankyou
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2010
hearing voices that seem outside your head sounds like schizophrenia. But on the other hand, many shizophrenics think the voices are really people talking to them
|

replied June 7th, 2010
Hey thanks for your reply. Basically the voices i hear arent outside my head, more like inside like the one you think with. More specifically they actually seem to be physically behind the voice i think with...so the normal one seems to be at the front of my mind, and the rest sit at the back of my head ...if that actually makes any sence.
|

replied June 7th, 2010
The fact that you're aware these voices are in your head is a good sign. I don't think it's schizophrenia, but still your problem has been persisting and if you feel all this interferes with your life you need to go to a psychiatrist or psychologist.
|

replied June 8th, 2010
Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah i will be going to the psychiatrist at some point. Just really looking for an idea on what it might be before i go so im at least prepared. The voices themselves dont really effect my life too much, other than not helping with my already short temper. However they are quite disturbing and i would very much like them gone.
|

replied June 26th, 2010
Ok, so i just found on another forum that the arguing voices seems fairly common among bipolar sufferers. Not sure exactly why but it did appear that way. Obviously i cant exactly make assumptions based on that, however if anyone does have anything to add please do so as im still unsure what it could be, if anything at all. Anyway, I am also worried about going to see someone about my problems as i dont know what i would say to them, dont really want meds and dont really want a label of any kind. So if anyone has any advice on that front please let me know. Thanks
|

replied May 19th, 2011
Hello so my 16 yr old son just told me exactly what you have posted here. All of the symptoms match right up to the voices however his do not argue. He has one bad one that tells him to do bad things as he says. His moods seem to cycle at different times. I am getting him into a psy. All of the info I have found seems to point schizoeffective disorder or bipolar. He thinks about people being dead all of the time and how they die graphically. Seems common in bipolar. The voices concern me but it is only when he is soo depressed and stressed anxiety ridden that he hears the couple of voices. I will keep you posted once we go in if you would like? I t must be scary but rely on your friends or family you trust to get you through this.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2011
so one of my best friends male 21 yrs old has the exact same symptoms.. he and i even joke about his voices and they even have names, sometimes they argue witheach other sometimes they argue with him,, like you describe he was diagnosed with schizophrenia at first and that was a complete nightmare of awful drugs and even worse sideeffects that didn't do much, so then the bipolar I diagnosis happened and he's doing better, his antisychotics help, but he is still playing medical jeopardy to find the right cocktail for him.
|

replied August 30th, 2011
Ok I am the one with the 16 year old update: He has Bipolar 1 diagnosis just what I thought. He is on Resprirdol (not sure of the spelling) .5 mg 2 times a day 7 hours apart. Let me tell you he is finally thinking clearly after all of these years. It is a miracle. No cliche intended. The true test will be the stress of school next week and how well he copes. He was put on welbutrin for years thought it was Adhd and depression. What the antidepressant did was made him manic and the off and on of stimulants made him more angry then he was generally for years thus the "hyperactivity" really it made him manic. Thought I would let you know the outcome no longer hears anything and is doing 100% better.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...