Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety in my child dealing after heart transplant

I have a 13 yr old who is dealing , it seems anxiety. He is shying away in school classes, especially gym. He has mentioned to me he is looked at as he changes his clothes. He doesn't understand y they look at him. I have also gone through an accident in my life at 16, he related us as being different. I agreed and do see him looking for someone he can chat with. I though am not sure how to deal with all he us going through or how to get him to talk on all he is feeling or going through. I have taken psychology in class at wright state only a semester. No where near long enough for this specific situation. He does have an appointment with a psychologist but I want to show him he is cared for here no question. Any feedback. Please, thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 5th, 2015
Experienced User
Hey streets

I'm sorry to hear about what your child is going through. When I was young I used to be like that as well. I was introverted and shy. I evade social interaction and was always paranoid. It's actually pretty common for most child his age. It's a good thing that you decided to consult a psychologist. Your child will get all the things he needs to overcome his condition.

In the meantime you should always encourage him and communicate with him. Try boosting his confidence as well. Eventually he will open up and tell you what he feels and what he is going through.
|

replied November 12th, 2015
Experienced User
I think just letting him know you are there for him is a huge help! And always encourage him. My daughter isn't shy, but she's always putting herself down. I am always telling her how great and smart and awesome she is. I'm hoping it's just a phase. She's 10. Making him an appointment with a psychologist was a great idea.
|
Tags: Anxiety, Stress
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...