Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety has me completely overwhelmed & discouraged...

Ok, here's a little background...I'm almost 31...mother of 4...wife of a Marine...getting ready to PCS (permanent change of station...we're still waiting on orders). I have battled anxiety off and on since I was a child...my childhood was stressful!

I had a pretty bad "episode" when I was 19, when my oldest child was about 6 months old. I couldn't leave the house for a month...panic attacks woke me up. I did, however, make it thru to the other side with the help of Effexor.

In 2010, while my husband was deployed, I had another "episode" that didn't last as long. I started having chest pain, and thought I was having a heart attack...I had my son run to get our neighbor. But after her calming me down, holding me & convincing me that I was OK...I was ok! I went to the doc & got put back on Effexor.
I stopped taking it about 6 months later because I felt better & I really did not like my doctor. BAD IDEA!

These past holidays were especially stressful for me & my marriage was a mess! So, at the end of January my anxiety reappeared FULL FORCE! I got put back on Effexor (still @ 37.5 mg), but I have been to the ER twice with chest pain...had normal EKGs & CT. They did find a mass on my left kidney adrenal gland & I've had more tests for that...everything seems to be ok...still have to have an MRI "just to cover all of the bases". After my 2nd ER visit, my doc decided to put me on Clonazepam (.5 mg...twice a day as needed). And I'm seeing a wonderful counselor...I LOVE HER! I look forward to our sessions every week!

But here's the problem....
I have my good days & bad days...like everyone, I'm sure. But my bad days scare the hell out of me! I am currently having severe tension in my neck and back, headaches, pain-numbness-tingling-cold sensations in my left arm, sporadic pain in my left armpit & chest, heavy-tightness in my chest, heavy legs, depersonalization, I can cry at the drop of a hat...I know that every single thing I've listed is on THE symptom list. I'm just so tired of battling this...literally, my body & mind are exhauseted! My husband has been so supportive, but I know he's exhausted as well. I know it's affecting my children...I want to be the mom they deserve. Everytime I think I've made great progress, I take a giant leap in the opposite direction. I'm always scared that I'm dying...I know that everyone will eventually, but I'm always worried about my heart. Of course, I've had other worries...stroke, dvt, cancer...but heart is #1.

I guess I'm just want reassurance that this can be overcome...that there is a light, that can be reached, at the end of this LONG SCARY tunnel.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AnxiousMomma78910
|

replied March 26th, 2012
Hey! i know exactly how you feel i have been dealing with anxiety and panic since i lost my son in 2009. and i get the most scariest symptoms heart palps,over anxiousness in my stomach tingling pains. etc. and i had ekg and ultrasound and the dr. said something about my left ventricle but said i was fine that i just needed to calm down and so will everything else. but its hard to tell your anxious mind to just be calm especially when you have had to deal with it for so long..it's not easy at all. and i am still trying to overcome it i have come along way,my husband is supportive but when i was first going through this it almost ruined our marriage and it does put a strain on your relationships,but i do think we can get through this i am reading this book by joyce meyer and its called changing your thoughts .and it really does make alot of sense how the way we think determines the way we feel. and if only we could change that negative thought process we will be on the mend!! best wishes,love and health and peace within yourself Smile
|
Users who thank megant08 for this post: AnxiousMomma78910 

replied March 26th, 2012
and also i worry about my heart more then anything else as well! the palps i get scare the crap out of me and im scared to take bc pills or anything bc related due to blood clots or anything else. i worry about everything about my health, but the most is my heart. i wish it would all just go away for good!!
|
Users who thank megant08 for this post: AnxiousMomma78910 

replied March 26th, 2012
I'm so sorry for you loss. You will be in my prayers Smile
Anxiety is just horrible...it can really put your life on hold...while everyone else is moving forward, you're stuck!
Thank you for your post...I already feel a little better, just because someone understands me. It means a lot that you shared with me.
|

replied March 26th, 2012
thank you! and your so welcome! it helps alot when you have someone actually understand the same issues you deal with. and i am glad you feel a little better! that's one step Wink wish you a stress free week and a fun ,relaxing weekend! take care!
|

replied April 15th, 2012
Ok, so my Effexor has been increased to 75mg for almost 3 weeks now...and my doc wants to "wean" me off of the Clonazepam...to the point that it's JUST "as needed". I was feeling a lot better...more "normal"...I was functioning. Doing things with my kids...driving myself to my counselor appointments 30 miles away...improving.
BUT...then...last night I had to take my daughter to the ER for her asthma (the ER is 30 miles away), and on the way there my left arm started feeling numb...it started from my fingers & moved up. By the time I got her inside the waiting room, I was in a full-blown anxiety attack. I have learned how to somewhat function while I'm having one, but this was scary for me...my LEFT ARM was numb & achy & my entire body was reacting! I'm still extremely shaky 12 hrs later. My husband told me that my body was just exhausted. I was texting him the entire time...his texts usually give me "hope".
Right now, as I'm typing this, I'm getting that sensation in my arm again...it feels numb, achy, heavy...and scary! I also have TONS of tension in my head, neck, shoulders & back...and that is giving me heck as well!
UGH!!! I'm so tired of being miserable & tired...
I just want to enjoy my family...and I try...but sometimes this annoying anxiety starts raining on my parade.
I know this post is quite "whinny"...I'm just feeling kind of hopeless & frustrated today...
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...