User Profile
Several months after I had my third child I had several panic attacks and finally got put on depression medication. Once it finally started working I felt so much better, I could keep control and stay calm. I have tried coming off of it about a year ago and I decided 2 take it again because I felt so out of control, cried about everything, and was so easily irritated. My husband now wants another baby. I'd love to have another child but my last pregnancy was very rough for me. I alot of issues emotionally and I am worried that if we decide to have another baby that it'll be even worse than my last pregnancy. I want to do all the research and be 100% positive that it is a good idea. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any medications for anxiety and/or depression that you can take during pregnancy, that is safe for the baby? Please if anyone has any helpful information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 16th, 2012
yes they do it all the time I take meds and my babys fine
|

replied August 16th, 2012
yes they do it all the time I take meds and my babys fine
|

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.Postpartum depression often occurs which usually resolves With love and good care. Antidepressants can also help. the risk of birth defects and other problems for babies of mothers who take antidepressants during pregnancy is very low. Still, few medications have been proved safe during pregnancy and certain types of antidepressants have been associated with a higher risk of complications for babies. So consult your doctor and let her decide what is good for you.

Take care
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression During Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.