Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Anxiety causing Depression??

Hi - I am a 31 yr old woman who has been recently diagnosed with GAD. I started with the symptoms in the beginning of June, and it quickly escalated to where I felt as if I couldn't function. I tried several different SSRIs prescribed by my primary care doctor and had all sorts of awful side effects. The paxil made me severely depressed. I've never had such a bad feeling in my life. I've since went to a psychiatrist who put me on buspar which has helped TREMENDOUSLY with my anxiety.. I also have just started a beta blocker to help with the anxiety as well as the PVCs and mitral valve prolapse that I found out that I had. My question is, has anyone had anxiety and gotten relief from medication only to have slight depression start??? The last week or so when I'm not busy or focused on something else, I start feeling a little sad... no where near as bad as when I was on the paxil, but I just feel blue every now and then and have a hard time snapping out of it. It happens most when I'm at work sitting here not busy, or in the evenings when my kids are doing something else. I still have great days and feel happy when at home doing stuff with my kids or shopping etc., but there are times I just feel blue..... I'm soo scared that its going to escalate, so I am looking for any advice to keep that from happenning...... I finally feel like I'm on a road to recovery with the anxiety, only to have some mild depression start. It's such a battle!! has this happenned to anyone, any advice??????
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2008
Supporter
I've felt feeling of depression as a result of free time and time to think. It sounds like you're describing something we all share in common---the human condition. DO you see a mental health professional at the moment? What's your treatment plan? ANd what's going on in your life at the moment?
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

anxiety and depression
Your bad feelings of this curable disease sound too fimiliar.I had developed similar last year, rushed to hospital on many occasions yet when you get there all is well and gone.I have a normal job General Manager no medical certificates or diplomas but yet a very straightforward
answer to our problem - our mind.I also discovered that most of the chronic medication offered by health doctors tend to have side effects eg in our case anxiety causes hypertension -the medication reducing hypertension causes depression etc(you must check you medication side-effects).You also have to ensure that you do not have serious medical conditions.Once this is ruled out you can then concentrate on the solutions.I find that Omega 3+6 , Vit B6 and Vit B12 does wonders for me.These are natural substances which have helped me to overcome the fright or flight attitude -either you fight the problem or you run away from it.It took me more then a month to feel the difference of these medication I also believe different medication helps differently in different individuals.
I am of the opinion that one will feel depressed after anxiety has gone because you become more worried of you health -this in turn ,i believe causes us to go into a depression mode.Remember doctors can recommend whatever medication but we need to win our fight against
these dreadful and unpleasant illness by trying our utmost to stay focussed.May I also recommend Tai-Chi exercises which helps much with
anxiety,stress etc.I hope I have spread some light on the matter.
|

Thank You
To rooted: I do see a mental health professional.... He is actually the one who had me try buspar for the anxiety as well as xanax, and it has helped a great deal for the anxiety. At first we tried 5mg of buspar 2x/day and it took the edge off, but I still had some anxiety. He then increased me to 10mg 2x/day, and it was just after that when I started with the mild depression/blues. I'm not sure if it could be the increased dosage or maybe I think soo much about how scared I was all summer and how bad it felt to be depressed when taking paxil. I just dont know if its from my mind wandering when I'm not busy, or if it could be from the increased dose of buspar. I heard that buspar comes in 7.5mg, so I may ask him to try me on that when I go back next week to see if that helps... maybe 5mg wasn't quite enough, but 10 is a little too much????

To wydie: I have been to the ER as well as several doctors and through many tests.. they say I'm perfectly healthy. However, they did find i have asthma like symptoms, as well as the cardiologist finding out that I have PVCs(xtra heartbeats) and Mitral Valve prolapse. Neither are serious but with my heart beating extra that can cause extra adrenalin to be pumped through my body which could aggravate the anxiety disorder, or could actually be the underlying cause. I just started a beta blocker last week and have noticed a difference in my heart palapatations.. I feel like I've ALMOST gotten the anxiety under control, but the bouts with the blues are scaring me... I NEVER want to feel the depression I felt that was caused by the paxil. At one point I had a flash of a suicidal thought which scared the daylights out of me. I'm married and a mother of 3. DOnt really care for my job, but it pays very well. We have everything so I dont have anything to cause the depression, and thats what scares me... knowing that I may have it but with no underlying cause. Do you have any recommendations of vitamins for the sadness?? As I said, it's not all the time and I definately have a full-filling life, so thats what has me baffled.
|

Did you develop those extra beats recently?. I developed those annoying extra beats 3 years ago when I had a severe panic and anxiety period. I am now receiving acupunture, neural therapy and I am taking omega 3, and planning to start on stationary bike daily. My skipped beats or extra beats are gone now.
|

extra beats
I actually started with the extra beats about a week before my first panic attack.... thats what leads me to believe the heart conditions may be what caused the anxiety disorder. I haven't thought of acupuncture... may be something worth looking into. I've heard others talk about the Omega 3... does that just help the extra beats, or does that help with the anxiety and depression as well???
|

Well. What I see about Omega 3 is that it keeps my good cholesterol (HDL) up (65) which is good for heart conditions. It also keep my triglycerides low. I have noticed this since I start on it. I am not really sure if Omega is keeping away my extra beats, because I am on several supplements, and I don't know if it has been a combination of tose supplements which are diminishing the beats. But I think that keeping your lipids (cholesterol, triglycerides) in good level make your heart to work easier.
I have had for depression Saint John's Wort (one capsule of 300mg a day in the morning) and that's enough to make me feel better. The advantage of SJ is that you can take it for periods (one or two months) and you don't develop withdrawal simptoms as with SSRI's.
I recommend you to do some research about the following supplements to help with your anxiety:
1- Inositol
2- Niacinamide (not Niacin)
3- Magnesium glycinate
4- L-Theanine.

You can talk about them with your Dr. But these supplements are safer than any psychiatric drug available, just be careful to not exceed the dosage; start with a very low dose and try just one at a time to see results. Do some trial and error. It is something worh to try IMHO.
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2008
Supporter
Re: Thank You
Sportsmom3 wrote:
To rooted: I just dont know if its from my mind wandering when I'm not busy, or if it could be from the increased dose of buspar.

I think that if you work with your doctor to test the dosage, you'll find out. Also, I found acupuncture VERY helpful for me in terms of boosting my immune system, overall energy, and treating anxiety. I was going once every couple of weeks to a great acupuncturist...and if I could have afforded it, would have gone once a week. Do you have any suggestions from friends on how to find a good acupuncturist where you live? Make sure they've got good "qi" (Chi), or energy, before you begin!!!
|

replied January 12th, 2012
Anxiety!!!
I know how you feel I have had anxiety for near 20yrs and stress was starting to get to me from work which made me feel irritable and I did try paxil and did not want to take it but did for a week as i am scaired of side effects especially the suicide one or other scary thoughts sure enough I got them and stopped them right away I hate pills now it seems like I have ocd in which I never had except for the obsessiveness especially about my health now it shifted to bad thoughts remember we feel how we feel because we program ourselves that way check out Lucinda Bassetts site or Charles Linden on youtube I hope to rid this away soon and forever and I hope you do as well your friend Joe take car.
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2012
Experienced User
For me Anxiety is the little sister of depression. Have anxiety first and that leads to depression. Depression includes the symptoms of anxiety really so what it is diagnosed I suspect you should be treated for both, at once. There are several meds which do treat anxiety and depression together.

The connection from heart to an anxiety condition I wouldn't know about but it sounds a valid connection to me. If our heart beats faster our adrenalin increases and so on. That could lead to anxiety as I see it. Just guessing on this bit.

Your main question was :

"My question is, has anyone had anxiety and gotten relief from medication only to have slight depression start???".

Not quite sure what you mean here but what I wrote at the top covers this. Anxiety develops into depression so it feels like anxiety has gone. It hasn't, just grown up to continue the little sister analogy.

I read and hear of so many variations of anxiety that, frankly, I don't believe them all. They are too specific and too familiar to have so many fine distinctions between them. I firmly believe anxiety is a form or, or precursor to, a bout of depression.
|

replied December 20th, 2012
sportsmum3
Oneofus, you are so right. Anxiety first then depression. I don't believe doctors get to people in time. We all go in for anxiety (really common) and are wrongly put on meds. There is an amazing free site called SelfTherapy.org typed in exactly like that with caps. It teaches you to get rid of anxiety. Once you have anxiety you stress over the feelings it gives you. Then you have depression licking its lips around you until it gets you. Once you control your anxiety curable on your own with help such as SelfTherapy.org or hypnotherapy, meditation etc. I control mine now and depression has not happened. It's not a cure, but many days go by without anxiety now and when it comes on I have the methods to get rid of it. Self love, accepting the feelings as your body trying to help you (fight and flight mode) and easing the adrenalin away really works. Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are common in initial days of SSRI. You would need psychotherapy sessions like CBT to combat these symptoms.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2019
Anxiety disorders are much more than just nervousness and worrying.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.