Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety caused by a shame trauma ?

I think what I originally have is called dissociative disosrder or even dissociative identity disorder (multiple personalities).

A couple of years ago I was in a bar in my home town. I was almost sober. A very drunk stranger came to me and started saying mean things to me. I was alone and got affraid. I'm a woman and the stranger was a man. All of a sudden I felt something inside me changed radically and I felt very angry, almost rage, towards the mean stranger. I also felt that I couldn't control myself at all. It was like some other "force" or personality inside me had entered my mind. I felt confused for a couple seconds and then noticed that I had started yelling and shouting at that man in a very hostile way. I had no control. Suddenly, after about 10-20 seconds, I noticed everyone in that bar staring at me. At that moment I started feeling very very confused again and felt that "the other personality" inside me had left and I was my old, shy, normal self again. I could still vaguely remember what had happened a couple of seconds ago, but I could not remember what I had shouted in that other state of mind. So I had partly lost my memory of what had happened during the 10-20 seconds "angry period".

People were still staring at me. I felt extremely confused. I just kept thinking "did something out of ordinary just happen??!!" I got so confused and embarrassed because everyone stared at me, so I went out of the bar and went home.

I still can't remember what exactly happened during those 10-20 seconds, and this causes me a lot of anxiety and distress. And I'm also very much traumatized by the shame and embarrassment. And that's not all. A couple of times after that incident someone I don't know has come to me in some other bars and said things like "hey I remember you, you're that girl from that bar..!!" and laughed in a very mean way.

Do I have any fellow-sufferers?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi Karamellixxx,

Either stay out of the bars or take a responsible person whom you trust with you. Apparently, drinking is causing you to have black outs and that can be a dangerous thing.

Good Luck,

Faded Rose
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...