Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety becoming schizophrenia ?

I've been battling this stint of almost dabilitating anxiety for about a week now, and I'm afraid it can turn into something worse, like schizophrenia. Is this possible, or is it just my anxiety playing with my mind.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2009
No they are unrelated disorders. Your issue is anxiety and how you manage that anxiety. Your best option is to seek out an experienced psychotherapist. My treatment preference is Cognitive Behavior Therapy which has a very promising outcome for people with anxiety.

Best wishes

Dr Jeff
www.drjeffbailey.com

|

replied December 28th, 2011
Can General anxiety turn into Schizophrenia?
I also think that please someone help me! I have severe anxiety and a constant worry that im going to devolpe somethink like schizophrenia i dont hear voices or see things BUT i do have racing thoughts, forgetfullness, i sometimes cant talk straight for Example i sometimes just mix up my words and i cant sleep because of the constant worry and sometimes my thoughts go from one thing to another like ill be thinking if i have schizophrenia to some random thing (That only occurs when im trying to sleep) I know that all the above are symptoms of General anxiety and no one in my family has this disease nor have they ever im only 14 abd this is hell on my brain i sometimes feel im going to devolpe it by just thinking of it im quiet the hypachondriac as well i thought it was depression just a few weeks ago i went to my councellor and she says its just anxiety from an event i expierenced in my life where i almost went into a stroke about a month back and is it tue that if you worry about having schizo you dont have it becase that puts alot of relief on me if its true please just helpand if you must email me! PLEASE and if you could please answer these questions 1.) Can you get the illness from worrying 2.) Does it seem to you like i have it or is it just my anxiety 3.) is having just a few symptoms a big deal i mainly have anxiety symptoms rather than schizo but still and 4.) Can you become a paranoid schizophrenic by researching all this online? im sorry if it seems dumb but im only 14 and very worried
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.