Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety Attack or something more serious?

Hi I'm a 19 year old college student. I'm fairly healthy in my everyday life I lift weights probably 3-4 times a week and am always out doing things. In the past year I have been a pretty heavy user of MDMA, which I know causes a loss in a lot of serotonin. Lately I have been having panic attacks, at first they were only caused by marijuana, but yesterday I went and got a coffee before work and then about 20 minutes after drinking the coffee I just felt really anxious and started getting pain in my left side of my upper chest and shoulder, it was a pretty pinpointed pain and a little bit in my left arm. At work I was really scared for pretty much the whole time especially the more I thought about it. When I would have to help customers at the cash register or get distracted it would basically go away though. After work it was almost completely gone and then I actually was able to have sex no chest pain. Then I get in bed and they came back while I was laying down and the more I thought about it the worse it got. This morning I woke up and that general area was kind of sore like I strained it yesterday and when I swallow it kind of hurts. On my dads side I do have a history of heart disease, not my dad directly but his dad and some uncles (nothing before 50). And on my mom suffers from panic disorder. Im really tired of going to the doctors thinking I'm having a heart attack and them telling me I'm fine. I'm waiting to go in to have blood tests done and a stress echo but obviously I'm very worried right now
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 24th, 2015
Experienced User
Hey

Well at some point you will still need to see a clinician. It would be harmful to only speculate and not receive a precise diagnosis. However based on your description there is a high probability that you are suffering from anxiety.

Try some relaxation techniques like breathing exercises, meditation, and listen to soothing music. Also make sure that you are with someone or in a place with people. It's important that whenever you have your attacks there is someone in close proximity, who can provide help.

Go and see a doctor. Have your heart and lungs checked. If it clears out then go and consult a psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist. Early treatment is essential for a faster recovery. Smile
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2018
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Its not a heart attack its a panic attack however you need to modify your diet and lifestyle and avoid these substances you been using.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.