Waking up at night and not being able to move a muscle... causing panic, then finally you snap out of it? Could this be a type of anxiety? It's got me worried before bed now, I can almost get the same feeling starting in my legs when I think about it long enough.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Stu
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2012
Experienced User
This could definitely cause anxiety, yes. As to whether it is actually caused BY anxiety is another matter.

When you wake up and can't move for a few moments it is usually a state of being not quite awake. Your mind wakes up before your body does, in essence, and it takes those few moments for you to catch up with yourself. It's a horrible feeling, no doubt about that. I used to suffer from it myself on occasion. I don't know about you but I always found it more likely if I slept on my back.

The fact that you are now worrying about this could turn it into an anxiety type situation. It's really something that you need to let go of the fear of, but that's easier said than done. Try changing your sleeping position, perhaps lying on your side instead of your back (if you lie on your back often) and maybe even raising your upper body a bit more with more pillows. Once you get a few nights of untroubled sleep under your belt it can quickly restore your confidence in being able to sleep without trauma.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....