Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety and Stress Question

User Profile
I'm an 18 year old girl and really preoccupied with fears that I am depressed, or am about to become depressed, but I'm unsure if this is actually the case or if I am just perpetuating my low mood with these fears. I have a general anxiety disorder and OCD, and often my OCD creates a lot of anxiety to do with mental illness and the fear of losing control (mostly of going crazy or dying). I'm deeply frightened of depression and the prospect of not wanting to live anymore and my worries about it are quite obsessive at the moment. I constantly monitor and analyse my emotions, and as I've been feeling very, very low recently (but not constantly - there has been the odd occasion when I've felt fine) I'm terrified that I'm becoming depressed and that my life will be ruined. This is really what I think about all day! I'm wondering if it is possible to experience low moods and feelings of depression without actually being clinically depressed? Is it possible that this is just anxiety? Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2018
Anxiety and Stress Answer A64093
Hello and welcome,

I appreciate your concern,

You have mentioned that you suffer from a general anxiety disorder and OCD.
Both of these combined aggrevate each other and cause more trouble, just like you mentioned.

In my opinion, it's not depression.You are not depressed,you are just anxious about becoming depressed and then you are obsessing over this anxiousness because of your condition.
A depressed person doesn't want to live,You do.
Let me tell you about the few most common signs of depression so that you can decide for yourself.

Feeling like a complete failure,
Helpless,hopeless,self loathing all the time,doesn't want to live,doesn't care for his/her life,reckless behaviour,insomni or over sleeping,not eating at all or eating alot than usual.not enjoying his/her hobbies,social life,pastime activities or even sex.

You should talk to a professional about your mood swings,OCD and anxiety disorder,I think it can be very beneficial for you but in my opinion, you are not depressed.

I hope this is helpful,

Wishing you the best of health.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.