Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety and Stress Question

User Profile
I'm a 25 year old Latina with no family history of ALS. Beginning in March I began to feel chest pains. Through the process of finding I was experiencing acid reflux, I had severe anxiety. Since then and for the past 5 weeks I've experienced full body twitching. I want to know the likeliness of having ALS and what other potential explanations there could be. Saw a neurologist today who didn't offer much aside from ordering a battery of tests over the next three weeks. Please advise.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2016
Anxiety and Stress Answer A57358
hello and welcome

your concern is appreciated

The twitching which is also called fasiculation can be due to number of reasons; common causes which are usually minor include after physical activity due to accumulation of lactic acid, stress and anxiety in which its called nervous tics, intake of too much caffeine and other stimulants, deficiency of nutrients like vit D and B also calcium, dehydration, nicotine and other tobacco products, adverse reaction to certain drugs. More serious causes include muscular dystrophies, ALS in which twitching usually occur in arms and legs first, spinal muscular atrophy etc. you have severe anxiety that may be causing it but it also depends when your muscle twich, for how long and which muscle and if you think that it is due to any serious abnormality than you need to do blood test to check electrolyte levels and thyroid function, a MRI scan, electromyography to asses neurological function.

hope it helps
thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Anxiety, Stress
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.