Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety and fear keeping up at night

For the past few months I have had an overwhelming fear of night time and the dark. Whenever I have to go to bed at night and turn off the lights I get really shaky and scared. I'm constantly turning the light on and off making sure nothings in my room and I panic when I hear the slightest noise. Because of this I haven't been getting a lot of sleep and it doesn't help that I have been waking up at the same time every morning. Its always between 2:45 to 3:15 when I wake up at night. I have no idea if I should see a doctor and maybe get sleep medication prescribed to help me sleep, or if there is anyway I can get over this obsessive fear
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2014
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

It seems to be a panic attack. I would suggest you consult a psychiatrist
so that a Mini mental state exam is performed.
to ascertain depression and or anxiety,or panic or phobias associated with your symptoms
Meds can be adjusted afterwards in addition
to cognitive behavioral therapy. Yoga and meditation , too have proven benefit
in addition to relaxing exercise. A low dose propranolol can be prescribed if you aren't asthmatic

wishing you best of health

thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.