Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

anxiety about recent sexual issues

Hi there, I have some worries about a recent sexual encounter. I hope I can get some answers here.

I had one encounter of protected vaginal sex with a woman whom after the fact told me she used to be a sex worker. She told me she always used protection but I'm not going to take her word for it. I wasn't able to confirm if she was HIV NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE.

I took two tests so far and I would like to know if I should still worry and if further tests are needed. I took an RNA PCR test at 11 days and a combo antigen /antibody test at 26 days. BOTH CAME NEGATIVE. Do I need further testing or I should move on with my life?I've been really stressed out about this lately and have been having headaches(minor) and have been pretty fatigued. Are these symptoms related to stress? All help and advise welcome. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2017

In case, you think, you may be infected with HIV, The only way, you can confirm it, is by getting tested for HIV. Having a negative test result will help you clear the fear of being infected with HIV.

As per CDC recommendations, the only test used to screen for HIV is the ELISA test, which detects HIV antibodies in the body secretions and or blood. The 4th generation ELISA tests for HIV, detects both the HIV antibody as well as antigens of HIV virus. Hence the test that is very accurate and sensitive at detecting HIV infection. ‎This test can be done after 4 weeks of exposure. If found negative, the test should repeat it every 4 weeks until 12 weeks. ‎

In case the test results are negative after 12 weeks, then you can consider yourself as HIV free.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.